Daily Record Back Page

People used to joke that if Messi, Xavi and Iniesta were Scottish, they wouldn't have made it. They aren't wrong though. Here Scotland have a tremendously talented Real Madrid player but aren't going to use him at u19 level because he isn't physical enough. Until the Scottish (and British in general) get out of this neanderthal mindset, we will never get anywhere. The whole purpose of the u19 level should be to develop the most talented players. Instead we prefer cloggers like McCulloch and Daily who try hard but have zero ability.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Would never make the Spain D team. Though Spain Z would be a better education than playing for Scotland.

You never know in the long run, Spain will have a new era of talent and Real Madrid obviously see something in this guy. I don't know much about him though.

Agreed about the Team Z point!

Sbragia said: “At Real Madrid, Jack can float all over the place, which he does. But with us he has to be more disciplined. He’s an exceptionally gifted lad but we can’t carry him. He can be a luxury sometimes.

“We’ve deliberately gone for more height in our squad. That’s one of the reasons why Jack isn’t in it.

“I’ve gone for a physical side and runners. Hopefully I’m proved right in Austria. It’s purely a tactical decision.”

and just to add the boy is 6ft 1... hashtag proud to be Scottish.... aye right..

People used to joke that if Messi, Xavi and Iniesta were Scottish, they wouldn't have made it. They aren't wrong though. Here Scotland have a tremendously talented Real Madrid player but aren't going to use him at u19 level because he isn't physical enough. Until the Scottish (and British in general) get out of this neanderthal mindset, we will never get anywhere. The whole purpose of the u19 level should be to develop the most talented players. Instead we prefer cloggers like McCulloch and Daily who try hard but have zero ability.

Agreed re: physicality.

I read a story last week that Messi wouldnt have made it in England like Ronaldo did because he isnt physical enough. If there was a choice between being physical and having skill, or just being phenominally skillful, i'd choose the latter. He seems to be none too shabby vs English teams in the CL!

The standards of Scottish football hasnt changed, in fact it has taken giant leaps back. IMO, La Liga is still the best league in the world and should attempt to be mirrored.

EDIT : Also, the 'we cant carry him' comment is insanely stupid. Wouldnt be surprised if the boy refused to play if/when he is called up.

Edited by Laudbertz

Agreed re: physicality.

I read a story last week that Messi wouldnt have made it in England like Ronaldo did because he isnt physical enough. If there was a choice between being physical and having skill, or just being phenominally skillful, i'd choose the latter. He seems to be none too shabby vs English teams in the CL!

The standards of Scottish football hasnt changed, in fact it has taken giant leaps back. IMO, La Liga is still the best league in the world and should attempt to be mirrored.

EDIT : Also, the 'we cant carry him' comment is insanely stupid. Wouldnt be surprised if the boy refused to play if/when he is called up.

Agree with all that, Messi has destroyed the best English teams so the argument makes no sense. 'But can he do it on a cold night in Stoke'...well yes, of course he could. He's the best there is.

Being small hasn't affected Zola, Cazorla, Silva, Aguero etc.

Sbragia said: “At Real Madrid, Jack can float all over the place, which he does. But with us he has to be more disciplined. He’s an exceptionally gifted lad but we can’t carry him. He can be a luxury sometimes.

“We’ve deliberately gone for more height in our squad. That’s one of the reasons why Jack isn’t in it.

“I’ve gone for a physical side and runners. Hopefully I’m proved right in Austria. It’s purely a tactical decision.”

and just to add the boy is 6ft 1... hashtag proud to be Scottish.... aye right..

Someone on here suggested Sbragia as the next Rangers manager :facepalm: