A Tale Of Two Clubs: The Case For A Sporting Director

Article available here:

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/latest-news/327-a-tale-of-two-clubs-the-case-for-a-sporting-director

Great stuff again Rosseau.

Obviously there's no guarantees when it comes to implementing football/coaching ideas but it's a shame the Blue Heaven ideal of 10-15 years ago was dispensed with the downsizing of the club circa 2005.

Certainly worth exploring again now.

PS: in the future feel free to use the first two posts of a thread to include the whole article. :)

Good article, Rosseau.

It was certainly interesting that Dave King in particular talked of the need to appoint a coach rather than a manager. Hopefully they are thinking along the same lines as set out in the article.

Good article, Rosseau.

It was certainly interesting that Dave King in particular talked of the need to appoint a coach rather than a manager. Hopefully they are thinking along the same lines as set out in the article.

was King not negative about a football director though.....or am I havering !

I don't recall him mentioning a Football Director? I do remember King being quite clear on the need for a Head coach rather than a 'Manager'.

The appointment of a Head Coach is a step in the right direction I think. It's certainly a job McCall could do; he seems to be good at getting the players match-ready and he appears to be tactically aware. However, perhaps a Head Coach well-versed in the tactical and technical side of things, as well as being more accepting of this model would be more appropriate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2981954/Rangers-Q-Dave-King-reveals-money-come-new-chairman-turn-Ibrox-around.html

Could that mean a Director of Football?

‘I don’t know, it’s premature. I don’t really understand the director of football role. To me, there must be one boss, whatever you call him.

‘I don’t like the idea of having a manager and some director sitting in a boardroom above him. That doesn’t make sense to me.

‘I’m not sure it has worked very well wherever it has been applied.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2981954/Rangers-Q-Dave-King-reveals-money-come-new-chairman-turn-Ibrox-around.html#ixzz3VyLo2QoH

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Thanks for that!

You're right: he doesn't seem too enthusiastic about the idea. But, I think that is down to the fact he doesn't understand it - his point about there having to be one man in charge emphasises that. In practice it is one man who is in charge in terms of coaching the team etc, but there would also be a DoF that would oversee the long-term development of the club's playing development and football strategy.

I do hope he investigates further, rather than dismissing it altogether because he doesn't understand it.