Fans Tribute To Sandy

That looks good and should have been done earlier. To be honest this is what should have originally be done rather than the renaming of the Govan Stand.

I agree.

The Govan Stand should not have been renamed at all by a board that knew as much about the history of Rangers as you and I know about Celtic.

I think I'm right in saying that all three had Hearts as their first love in football.

Not sure about Struth but the other two were.

Struth was brought up near Tynecastle and worked for the club but I'm not sure if he supported them or not.

Edited by Frankie

Not sure about Struth but the other two were.

Struth was brought up near Tynecastle and worked foe the club but I'm not sure if he supported them or not.

I remember reading that Struth owned shares in Hearts and that this was his first allegiance. Unfortunately, I can't recall where I read it.

I remember reading that Struth owned shares in Hearts and that this was his first allegiance. Unfortunately, I can't recall where I read it.

It certainly seems probable but I can't find anything myself.

I do find it interesting though that Greig and Jardine were. I remember Greig saying as much in one of his videos before he was voted Greatest Ever Ranger. Says a lot about what the club can mean to those who join it and the fans who can clearly separate people's background and their contribution.

It certainly seems probable but I can't find anything myself.

I do find it interesting though that Greig and Jardine were. I remember Greig saying as much in one of his videos before he was voted Greatest Ever Ranger. Says a lot about what the club can mean to those who join it and the fans who can clearly separate people's background and their contribution.

I found this:

Willie Maley. his rival manager during his Ibrox years, was a sprinter with Clydesdale Harriers and won the Scottish 100 yards title. Struth, reckoned by Mason and Stewart to be a member of Edinburgh Northern Harriers, never won a national title. The main reason that he never won a national title was that he was a professional in an era when only amateurs were eligible for championship meetings. Struth grew up in Edinburgh and followed his local club, Hearts. Like Maley he took part in a range of sports but his real talents were in athletics. He trained as a stone mason and competed in athletics events the length and breadth of Scotland and even went south to the pro meetings in the Lake District and on at least one occasion to Wales. A look at the details of his running career tells us about the man and the sport at this point in its development.

http://scottishdistancerunninghistory.co.uk/Bill%20Struth.htm

That looks good and should have been done earlier. To be honest this is what should have originally be done rather than the renaming of the Govan Stand.

I agree with that also. I completely disagreed with naming our famous Govan Stand in his honour, and still do. The decision was taken for political and deflection reasons, not on merit IMO. You cannot compare Bill Struth with Sandy Jardine i'm afraid, yet they both have the same honour. What happens when Greig passes away? Was Jardine more deserving than other playing legends?

While Jardine worked tirelessly in his last few years when our club needed it most, which I will be eternally grateful for, his previous two decades of employment at Rangers were more miss than hit, and I have many different reasons and events for saying that, none of which will be published out of respect for the man.

The bust is a fine honour and that is where it should have been left. Another poor decision by that board that we will be left with, although in fairness I am much more content to let this one lie than the many other poor decisions they made.

I can think of another towering figure in Rangers' history who was a Hearts fan - Willie Woodburn.

Struth, Greig, Jardine and Woodburn - all names that are rooted in the very fabric of Rangers, and yet they started out as Hearts fans.