Results Win Prizes

IT IS more about results than performances from now until the end of the season – admits Rangers manager Stuart McCall.

That in part is down to the tough surfaces his side are playing are, the manager says it is a struggle to play the type of football he would like because of the time of year.

After drawing with Livingston in mid-week on a dry and jarring pitch he is expecting similar at Dumbarton this weekend and wants his team to win, even if it is ugly.

The 50-year-old said: “I saw a stat today that said we have won five out of our last 15 games, which was true but also you can flip that on its head with some other stats – we’ve won four out of our last six and only lost one in our last 12.

“So stats can be useful in different ways but I am happy with how it is going, apart from the blip at Queen of the South.

“Our focus is now on going to Dumbarton and getting a result tomorrow, it’s not about performance it’s about the result and we need to be coming back with three points.

“Everyone talks about momentum going into the play-offs but all that really matters are those 90 minutes of football, home and away, and getting through it.

“At this time of year a lot does depend on the surface you are playing on.

“I have said it many times that you’ll see in pre-season your tricky wingers and good ball players shining and then it comes to Christmas and you have to deal with the mud and the sticky pitches.

“Now we have come through that and we have to deal with hard, bumpy parks so sometimes to ask a team to play out from the back on bumpy surfaces isn’t conducive.

“It all depends on the quality of the surface so we’ll mix and match and tomorrow if there is an opportunity to play football then we’ll play football.

“You have to be adaptable and flexible as a manager and as a team - if you are one dimensional then you’ll get found out.

“We now have young Walsh back and available for us and a lot of the boys who play out wide like to come inside and we can get the full-backs forward or play three at the back so we have a bit of variety about us.

“I’ll decide looking at the opposition and how we have been training what to focus on and how best to go and win a game.”

McCall also addressed the issue of the play-off final date being shifted to accommodate Hibs potentially taking part in the Scottish Cup Final.

But it is not something that is going to worry the manager in the short-term as his players fight to secure second place in The Championship table.

He said: “I don’t think we’ll think about it until if and when it becomes a problem to us.

“It is something that needs to be looked at but we need to make sure we’re in that final first and then we’ll deal with it because we have nearly a dozen players out of contract in May.

“Hibs meet Falkirk in the cup tomorrow and it might resolve itself but we won’t know anymore until any new dates are proposed.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9089-results-win-prizes

I am afraid the more I hear McCall talking the less I want him as manager next season. It seems he finds drawing with teams we should be hammering acceptable.

I doubt very much that he finds unacceptable draws acceptable pete, I think it's just a mix of him trying to remain positive and interview situations with selective Q&As making him seem more out of touch than he really is.

His interviews started off brilliantly but are beginning to transform themselves into the same patronising, useless pap we have been served by the previous two accepters of failure (and drawing with Livingston for Rangers is unacceptable failure whether the pitch be dry or not, ffs).

Edited by SteveC