Mikel Arteta: I'll sign new Arsenal deal once fit

ARSENAL captain Mikel Arteta expects to extend his contract at the Premier League club when he returns from injury.

PUBLISHED: 22:00, Sat, Apr 18, 2015

Mikel ArtetaGETTY

Mikel Arteta is hopeful of a 12-month contract extension

The 33-year-old is recovering from an ankle problem but manager Arsene Wenger is keen to hold on to the Spaniard by offering him a 12-month extension.

However, the former Everton playmaker, who will miss Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Reading, wants to get fully fit before signing a new deal at the Emirates.

"My only aim is to get back fit and try to perform on the pitch," he told Sky Sports.

I am sure that I will continue with this club

Mikel Arteta

"As long as I do that I am sure that I will continue with this club, with the relationship I have with the club and the respect I have from everybody here.

"In May, when everything is fine, we will sit down and talk and it will take five minutes," said Arteta who signed for the Gunners on transfer deadline day in August 2011.

Arteta, who had ankle surgery in January, has not played since November's Champions League win over Borussia Dortmund when he suffered a calf injury.

He plans to step up his rehabilitation next week and could return for the Premier League clash with Chelsea on April 26.

"I am not far. I have done five or six sessions with the first team and I am feeling good," Arteta added.

Related articles

We used to have a player with the same name. Was never good enough for the EPL though.:)

We used to have a player with the same name. Was never good enough for the EPL though.:)

Can't agree with that at all.

I saw him play for Arsenal at West Ham in Oct 12 and he completely dictated the game, he took every ball out of defence and rarely missed a forward pass.

I saw him play for Arsenal at West Ham in Oct 12 and he completely dictated the game, he took every ball out of defence and rarely missed a forward pass.

irony

ˈʌɪrəni/

noun

noun: irony

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

As TRP pointed out in his post BH I was being sarcastic. That is why I put in the smilie. He was not really found good enough at Rangers but ended up with a top team in Engerland. Sometimes we seem to miss seeing the talent we have. Playing players out of position could be a reason. Arteta had to bow for Ferguson if I remember correctly.

Edited by pete

As TRP pointed out in his post BH I was being sarcastic. That is why I put in the smilie. He was not really found good enough at Rangers but ended up with a top team in Engerland. Sometimes we seem to miss seeing the talent we have. Playing players out of position could be a reason. Arteta had to bow for Ferguson if I remember correctly.

Apologies, although very right footed he was frequently played in LMF; he played 50 league games for us in 2 seasons scoring 12 goals (14 in 68 overall) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikel_Arteta, but was never guaranteed a regular game and left for Everton via Real Sociedad. Mind you he was only 20-22 when with us. A 10-year career in the EPL speaks volumes, very unlucky not to have been called up for Spain in an era when they were blessed with outstanding MF like Xabi Alonso, Xavi and Iniesta. Has scored a goal every 7 games on average throughout his career.

What we would give to have a player like that for the next two seasons, we can but dream.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Quality player. Has struggled in the last 18 months due to Arsenals weakness of not having a proper holding midfielder next to him plus at 33 he is slowing down.

A good player for Arsenal to keep on as a squad player next year. They need to rid players like Flamini and Diaby then add quality who go straight into the first team.