Rangers face bumper pay out to SPFL after clubs retain levy

The chairmen of all the clubs who agreed to this are responsible for it.

Rangers should charge £5 a ticket.

There is probably a minimum price attached too. Someone a couple of weeks ago on here said we should have free entry and then charge 15 quid a program - great idea.

I looked up the regs a few weeks back and it was written in the SPFL's own rules that gate prices for play-off matches are purely at the descretion of the individual clubs. It seems that they may well have re-written their rules again though because it was suggested last week that the SPFL had imposed a minimum ticket price on the play-off games.

One thing worth thinking about.

Should clubs that have failed to win the only automatic promotion place available make a fortune from three play-off home ties, thereby cashing in from not being the best, while the best team, in this case, Hearts, misses out on a cash windfall?

Edited by Hildy

Should clubs that have failed to win the only automatic promotion place available make a fortune from three play-off home ties, thereby cashing in from not being the best, while the best team, in this case, Hearts, misses out on a cash windfall?

You have a point but do Hearts get any of that money?

You have a point but do Hearts get any of that money?

I have no idea what the SPFL will do with the money, but if it distributes some or all of it to the rest of its members, or just pays its bills, that won't be objectionable.

The play-offs are generally thought to be a good idea, but they should not provide a huge financial advantage to lower placed clubs over the champion club.

If we had won the division, we wouldn't have cared, but we didn't and now we're squealing about unfairness.

Maybe we should just appreciate this lifeline after the worst onfield failure in our long and distinguished history.

How so? The SPFL "windfall" is because of more games being played by us and the other play-off teams. I doubt that Hearts and their players wish any more games to slug it out for promotion. If they want more money, they could arrange a friendly and share that extra income with their opponents. As it stands, it is similar to the final stages of a cup competition. The only real "winners" is the SPFL here. For essentially, play off games hardly ever suit those teams who are involved in them (unless you finish 3rd or 4th and get promoted), not least at the tail end of a long season. IMHO, this is US-style entertainment and money-grabbing rubbish. If your league position after 38 games or the like isn't sufficient, I don't know what is.

Taking 50% before costs are taken of will be more like 75% of the total profits I would imagine. That is a bit unfair as teams have to pay players out of contract extra money. In the future contracts will be made to cover the play-offs but that is not yet the case.

Rumour over on FF that the board are set to annone that the play off matches are free to season ticket holders

Excuse my ignorance but I have tried google and the English dictionary but what does annone mean. I have never heard of it. Possibly the result of being away for 35 years.