Blue Pound Wasted

Dundee only needs one stadium

Ayrshire (Ayr & Killie) only needs one stadium

Glasgow has too many

Edinburgh only needs one stadium (use Murrayfield instead of both Tynecastle & Easter Road)

But history and rivalry would never allow the above to happen, even though it would mean better stadia and better facilities, plus the costs of such being split between more than one team.

I think this may happen Craig,just not in our lifetimes.

I don't think that football matches bring that much more into local economies - I bet not much was added to the Ayrshire economy last night.

There was about 5000 Rangers fans going to Somerset Park last night, so quite a lot of the pubs and local fast food places will have made a lot more money than a normal Wednesday night.

There was about 5000 Rangers fans going to Somerset Park last night, so quite a lot of the pubs and local fast food places will have made a lot more money than a normal Wednesday night.

I'm not as convinced as you are that this adds a lot to the local economy. But we will never know I guess.

Even more weirdly, unless my memory is worse than I thought when many clubs around Scotland were throwing up lego stadia to comply with the Taylor report back in the day, one of the main builders to benefit was Barr's, the company of Ayr Utd chair or owner or something, George (?) Barr. You'd have thought he'd have done them a good deal.

Even more weirdly, unless my memory is worse than I thought when many clubs around Scotland were throwing up lego stadia to comply with the Taylor report back in the day, one of the main builders to benefit was Barr's, the company of Ayr Utd chair or owner or something, George (?) Barr. You'd have thought he'd have done them a good deal.

You are correct. Barr owned Ayr and his construction company was one of the largest companies in Scotland at the time. Shame he never put much of that wealth into Ayr Utd.

Another useless fact.... when we had the Scotland v England annual games the English always trained on Somerset Park as they felt it was the closest pitch in terms of condition to Wembley.

With football matches bringing so much money into local economies it should really be the responsibility of local councils to invest in improvements to stadium infrastructure, especially with small clubs which can't afford it themselves. The goverment and local councils frittter away and waste vast amounts of money every year on all sorts of initiatives, many of which are a load of shite. It's time they started getting their priorities sorted out.

Yes, and football clubs are not a priority. I don't want a penny of my tax to go to football clubs.

Dundee only needs one stadium

Ayrshire (Ayr & Killie) only needs one stadium

Glasgow has too many

Edinburgh only needs one stadium (use Murrayfield instead of both Tynecastle & Easter Road)

But history and rivalry would never allow the above to happen, even though it would mean better stadia and better facilities, plus the costs of such being split between more than one team.

Better for who? Let clubs and fans decide what to do for themselves.

Also, Ayr and Killie need two stadiums.

Edited by ranger_syntax