Anyone else think Rangerstv is a poorly implemented service?

I only watch RangersTV occasionally to catch some of our away games, so I don't know what all of the rest of the content is like, but apparently the media, digital content and RangersTV teams work tirelessly to provide the content and they're currently in a process of trying to improve all of the Club's digital content.

The problem with RangersTV though, is that it needs a lot more subsrcibers in order for them to have a better budget, so it's a bit of catch 22 situation.

What I will say is that DJ's patter during the match commentary is absolutely terrible and his jokes are cringeworthy.

Have to say I feel privileged, and a little guilty, that I am able to watch all the games 'LIVE' from abroad when supporters in the UK can not.

(No way that SKY or BT are about to 'move over' for us anytime soon though)

So I'm a bit reluctant to be overly critical. However, I have shared a few thoughts, comments with the support team and they are more than aware of the need for a more 'professional' presentation. The introduction of a variety of guest colourmen to 'assist' this season so far, is a noted improvement in an attempt to get away from the 'parochial patter' of, our very own, Francie & Josie. Have to say TM is a lot more tolerable without his comedy partner. DJ takes some stick across all the forms but doesn't bother me so much when he talks fitba'.

I do believe, as Zappa says, that they are working hard to make improvements, budget permitting. Having watched a couple of the Brentford videos on YouTube, can't imagine it will take too long before MW gets around to making his mark (no pun intended) in this department too.

The man oozes quality and is contagious.

Hoping to catch a couple of REAL LIVE games (Falkirk & QotS) @ Ibrox in October.

The one thing that Rangers TV CANNOT give you, is the atmosphere .................................................................:rfcbouncy::party:

TBH I think RangersTV and the whole media side of the club have been excellent this season.

I don't use tablets or phones to be fair I simply use my trusty old pc and I've found their service to be top notch.

Flash might be old but it's a solid media platform - do Iphones really not play flash media? I'm sure they do. Youtube is simply a flash variant after all. The Beeb still use flash. I'm certain Iphones are compatible.

So credit where credit is due....the service is much better and as to today....Marv,,,he's the best co-commentator we've had...

It's like having Bob Marley in a Gers shirt giving insights....brilliant!

More Marv please RTV. :rfc:

TBH I think RangersTV and the whole media side of the club have been excellent this season.

We must have different expectations and experiences.

I don't use tablets or phones to be fair I simply use my trusty old pc and I've found their service to be top notch.

I think you'll find most casual internet content is viewed on mobile devices these days - around 60%. To be good on PC and poor on mobile does not make good commercial sense.

Flash might be old but it's a solid media platform

It's very old now in a computing context and hasn't been developed for about 3 or more years. Video quality depends on the codec, with the industry leader currently being H.264 (although H.265 is coming as well as VP9). Although later versions of Flash could use H.264, I don't think it's commonly used, and instead it's more likely to be VP6 or Sorenson which will either be lower quality or higher bandwidth.

Flash might be even solid but the Rangers video player is not impressively implemented. Apart from the horrible adverts, there does not seem to be much buffering and so unless you have a constantly and consistently high bit-rate (which not all of us have), it will stutter instead of buffering and playing for a bit when ready. The latter is a bit annoying but the former is just unwatchable.

- do Iphones really not play flash media?

It is not officially supported and if you look it up you'll find that it's the spat between Apple and Adobe that pretty much killed Flash.

I'm sure they do. Youtube is simply a flash variant after all. The Beeb still use flash.

Youtube (and other services of quality) have moved to HTLM5 - not surprising due to the 60% mobile device figure.

I'm certain Iphones are compatible.

As said, it's not official, and what you have is people shoehorning old technology in there without much financial gain and so it's not going to be that great. Android also no longer officially supports it (not surprising as neither does Adobe, it's pretty much dead technology) and so it also suffers from a hacky conversion. That will be why the experience is not good on mobile devices.

So credit where credit is due....the service is much better

For you maybe, but for others it falls massively behind other premium services and even the RaithTV highlights shown in another thread trounces RangersTV in a manner which juxtaposes the match.

It's far better than it was last season. It's not great, the music choice for the 90 in 90 is poor but, and I could be wrong here, we never got such a thing last season. In summary, it's improving but there's still loads of work to be done.

I think the RTV YouTube channel is brilliant.

The clips of the games, the press conferences, the goals from different angles, it really is great TV.

I think I need to look at that as the video quality will be higher. The clip on another thread is pretty high quality.

I'm thinking my main gripes are boiling down to inappropriate advertising, and the ill advised use of Flash.

We must have different expectations and experiences.

I think you'll find most casual internet content is viewed on mobile devices these days - around 60%. To be good on PC and poor on mobile does not make good commercial sense.

It's very old now in a computing context and hasn't been developed for about 3 or more years. Video quality depends on the codec, with the industry leader currently being H.264 (although H.265 is coming as well as VP9). Although later versions of Flash could use H.264, I don't think it's commonly used, and instead it's more likely to be VP6 or Sorenson which will either be lower quality or higher bandwidth.

Flash might be even solid but the Rangers video player is not impressively implemented. Apart from the horrible adverts, there does not seem to be much buffering and so unless you have a constantly and consistently high bit-rate (which not all of us have), it will stutter instead of buffering and playing for a bit when ready. The latter is a bit annoying but the former is just unwatchable.

It is not officially supported and if you look it up you'll find that it's the spat between Apple and Adobe that pretty much killed Flash.

Youtube (and other services of quality) have moved to HTLM5 - not surprising due to the 60% mobile device figure.

As said, it's not official, and what you have is people shoehorning old technology in there without much financial gain and so it's not going to be that great. Android also no longer officially supports it (not surprising as neither does Adobe, it's pretty much dead technology) and so it also suffers from a hacky conversion. That will be why the experience is not good on mobile devices.

For you maybe, but for others it falls massively behind other premium services and even the RaithTV highlights shown in another thread trounces RangersTV in a manner which juxtaposes the match.

........your comments are a bit too techy/geeky for me but have a chat with them here :-

support@rangerstv.tv

I've found them very receptive to communication, critical or otherwise. It's to be hoped that their dept. can secure a bigger budget & make improvements sooner than later.

Would appreciate reading updates on this topic as RangersTV is my most important link to the club.