Champions League week 1

Then nothing in his second season. Real Madrid winning big trophies is hardly unexpected.

They hadn't won the CL in 15 years...

I agree Ancelotti is not the best move for Liverpool, but I'm not getting drawn into a debate about his merits as a manager. He is a class act. simple.

Juventus, Chelsea and Real Madrid all clearly disagree given they sacked him.

Then again you could say they thought a lot of him or wouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Football is full of hiring and sacking, the managers (the good ones) don't care about that issue, it's the norm for these individuals, the money's good along with the glamour and attention.

Juventus, Chelsea and Real Madrid all clearly disagree given they sacked him.

Being sacked by Chelsea and Real Madrid shouldn't mark and x on a CV though under the circumstances, those two go through managers left right and centre unless they win titles and cup every season.

Back to Klopp and Ancelotti for Liverpool, Klopp would be the better fit for them IMO although De Boer is now a contender which is an interesting option.

Being sacked by Chelsea and Real Madrid shouldn't mark and x on a CV though under the circumstances, those two go through managers left right and centre unless they win titles and cup every season.

Back to Klopp and Ancelotti for Liverpool, Klopp would be the better fit for them IMO although De Boer is now a contender which is an interesting option.

Chelsea were just absolutely appalling in his second season, it completely changed my opinion of him. I never wanted him in the first place though, his last two seasons at Milan were trophyless. with them finishing 5th in 07/08 and 3rd in 08/09. A club like Chelsea should always be looking for managers with current success, rather than a history of it. That said, Chelsea were spectacular in his first season, but as previously discussed, were dreadful in the second, after the 3-0 defeat at home to Sunderland. He also spent > £100m that season.

He showed at Milan, until his last two seasons, that he can be a good manager. However, I don't consider him to be an elite one, and based on his Premiership performance in his second season, I don't think he would be a great choice for Liverpool. Particularly given he will have nowhere near the level of funds he had at Chelsea. Of course though, it all depends on who the best candidate is that Liverpool can attract.

De Boer is an interesting option, but I'm not sure whether winning the Eredivisie is necessarily suggestive of ability. I think he needs to move to another club and league first before we can really judge him. Again, Klopp would be an excellent signing for Liverpool.

• 1 year later...
They hadn't won the CL in 15 years...

I agree Ancelotti is not the best move for Liverpool, but I'm not getting drawn into a debate about his merits as a manager. He is a class act. simple.

Ahem... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4930064/Carlo-Ancelotti-failed-deliver-goods-Bayern-Munich.html

giphy.gif

He's still a class act, though. His record speaks for itself:

Juventus

UEFA Intertoto Cup: 1999

Milan

Serie A: 2003–04

Coppa Italia: 2002–03

Supercoppa Italiana: 2004

UEFA Champions League: 2002–03, 2006–07

UEFA Super Cup: 2003, 2007

FIFA Club World Cup: 2007

Chelsea

Premier League: 2009–10

FA Cup: 2009–10

FA Community Shield: 2009

Paris Saint-Germain

Ligue 1: 2012–13

Real Madrid

Copa del Rey: 2013–14

UEFA Champions League: 2013–14

UEFA Super Cup: 2014

FIFA Club World Cup: 2014

Bayern Munich

Bundesliga: 2016–17

DFL-Supercup: 2016, 2017

Individual

Serie A Coach of the Year: 2001, 2004[180]

Panchina d'Oro: 2002–03, 2003–04[181]

Ligue 1 Manager of the Year: 2012–13 (tie with Christophe Galtier)

IFFHS World's Best Club Coach: 2007, 2014[182]

European Coach of the Year—Alf Ramsey Award: 2003

World Soccer Magazine Manager of the Year: 2003[183]

Globe Soccer Awards Best Coach of the Year: 2014[184]

Globe Soccer Awards Best Media Attraction in Football: 2014[184]

Enzo Bearzot Award: 2014[185]

FIFA World Coach of the Year (Runner-up): 2014[186]

Miguel Muñoz Trophy: 2014–15

Italian Football Hall of Fame: 2015[121]

A.C. Milan Hall of Fame

A.S. Roma Hall of Fame

The sheer number and variety (leagues and counties) is second to none. Not even Guardiola, Mourinho nor Conte have won the Intertoto. I rest my case.

Although, that Bayern team was really performing poorly.

Edited by Rousseau