Defending In Transition

You didn't answer me in the last topic about this. Do you think we are going to play this system in Europe? I.E. play in Europe with two ultra-attacking full backs?

With our two 'ultra attacking full backs' why don't we play 3-5-2 ?

Allys mediocre management skills got his team through a season undefeated....lol

There is something to ponder. If a "useless" manager can do that with two hands tied behind his back, what praise can we give to all the others who have achieved not much more when things have been a lot more conducive?

I like to think we have some history, so why shit on it.

You can really see the memes changing in here - eg last year Clark was shit because of the manager, now he's just shit, and the manager is great...

It's quite amusing...

Aside from minnows in the Europa League, I cannot see us playing 3 at the back against anyone in Europe, regardless of what happens in the next few years. Even the English Premiership teams are struggling massively in the CL group stages, the continental teams are way ahead of even the best teams in British football. I don't see why we can't just play a bog standard back 4 with sufficient balance, varying the attacking mentality based on the opposition. One of my favourite back 4's of recent years is what Ancelotti had in his hugely successful Milan team in the 00's:

LB - Maldini - world class defender, solid as a rock.

CB - Nesta - Terrific all round CB, one of my favourite of all time, though injuries ruined his later career. Very calm and composed, comfortable on the ball.

CB - Stam - Extremely powerful, uncompromising centre back.

RB - Cafu - Attacking full back, one of the greatest of all time

This defence had the perfect balance.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

You didn't answer me in the last topic about this. Do you think we are going to play this system in Europe? I.E. play in Europe with two ultra-attacking full backs?

Sorry, I thought I did. Yes, I do think we'll be playing that way. It's crucial to the Warburton Philosophy. The implications could be quite destructive -- losing a few goals, as you suggested --, but if managed correctly, it can work. I saw Astana play Galatasaray with 2 aggressive full-backs, leaving 2 at the back, with a deep DM (or Pivot). It happens quite often; it's about how one manages it IMO.

I suggested similar in the previous article: switching to a back 3, to utilise the spare-man philosophy, whereby we would set-up to with a back 3 or back 2 (centre-backs), depending on what the opposition has up front. I suggested 3-4-3, because it is easier to transition to from the 4-3-3 we play. Playing with a back 3 could provide us with the cover we need at the back to compensate for our attacking full-backs.

Aside from minnows in the Europa League, I cannot see us playing 3 at the back against anyone in Europe, regardless of what happens in the next few years. Even the English Premiership teams are struggling massively in the CL group stages, the continental teams are way ahead of even the best teams in British football. I don't see why we can't just play a bog standard back 4 with sufficient balance, varying the attacking mentality based on the opposition. One of my favourite back 4's of recent years is what Ancelotti had in his hugely successful Milan team in the 00's:

LB - Maldini - world class defender, solid as a rock.

CB - Nesta - Terrific all round CB, one of my favourite of all time, though injuries ruined his later career. Very calm and composed, comfortable on the ball.

CB - Stam - Extremely powerful, uncompromising centre back.

RB - Cafu - Attacking full back, one of the greatest of all time

This defence had the perfect balance.

That seems unbalanced to me! (It's a back 3 when in possession!) To be fair, when Milan attacked it was 3-4-1-2.

British sides play a bog-standard back 4, so by your argument they have the perfect balance (in the sense that they don't roam too much)? but then you also say they are miles behind the continental sides? I think British sides are poor in comparison to continental sides because they are one-dimensional in attack. Aggressive full-backs, providing width and options, would improve that -- if managed correctly.

Sorry, I thought I did. Yes, I do think we'll be playing that way. It's crucial to the Warburton Philosophy. The implications could be quite destructive -- losing a few goals, as you suggested --, but if managed correctly, it can work. I saw Astana play Galatasaray with 2 aggressive full-backs, leaving 2 at the back, with a deep DM (or Pivot). It happens quite often; it's about how one manages it IMO.

You would play this in the Champions League as well?