The Living Wage - Rangers

ok

I heard Arthur Scargill at the last election. He reckoned the living wage should be £12 per hour

Based on statistical economic data no doubt....... Or, more likely, he just plucked a number out of the air and ran with it.

Based on statistical economic data no doubt....... Or, more likely, he just plucked a number out of the air and ran with it.

"Introducing that would just lead to a huge increase in unemployment and a hike in taxes to pay for the increased benefits payable, so a vast majority of the population would be worse off."

no

he calculated a tax on bankers would pay that level for our working people

Edited by colinstein

• 2 weeks later...
Rutherglen MSP James Kelly praises Rangers FC for commitment to pay the living wage

12:00, 6 Dec 2015 By Douglas Dickie

Labour politicians also hits out at Celtic, who accused him of using the club for political gain

Rutherglen MSP James Kelly has praised Rangers after the club committed to paying staff the living wage.

The Labour member was speaking the week after his calls for Celtic to become an accredited living wage employer were dismissed by the Parkhead club.

Rangers chairman Dave King revealed at the club’s AGM last Friday that all staff would be paid a minimum of at least £8.25 an hour.

In doing so they become the second Scottish club to make the commitment, after Hearts.

Mr Kelly, who is a Celtic supporter, had publicly challenged the Parkhead club to commit before their AGM on November 20, something that prompted criticism from the Scottish champions.

He said this week: “I welcome the announcement by Rangers that they will adopt the living wage and pay it to all their employees.

“This is a significant move which I know will be welcomed by supporters of all clubs.

“Football clubs have an important role to play in taking a lead and ensuring that workers are paid a fair days’ pay for a fair days’ work.

“This increases the pressure on Celtic and I am calling on the Celtic board to reconsider their position and pay all their staff a living wage.”

Celtic responded to Mr Kelly’s previous statements by accusing him of using the club “for his own political purposes.” They say club staff overwhelmingly backed the current wage structure.

But he hit back, saying: “Celtic’s position that I should not comment on these matters as I do not know the internal workings of the club is laughable.

“I have followed football since I was a kid and attended hundreds of games all over the country including many at Parkhead. I think that more than qualifies me to say that people who work at Celtic, whether on the turnstiles or in the club shop, are entitled to a decent wage.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/rutherglen-msp-james-kelly-praises-6938800