Dominic Ball Lends a Hand

A nice story for Xmas, well done young man.

DOMINIC BALL admits Glasgow has become a home from home since his summer switch from Tottenham to Rangers.

And the 20-year-old is determined to give something back to the people of the city after lending a hand to help those who need it this Christmas.

Ball swapped his Gers jersey for a blue apron on Monday night as he joined volunteers at the Glasgow City Mission in Crimea Street.

The Rangers Charity Foundation donated £60,000 to the Mission to ensure they can stay open for an extra month in March next year following the success of their three 'Big Sleep Out' events at Ibrox.

Ball has settled on and off the park since making the move from London and the defender is pleased he had a chance to give something back to Glasgow after meeting those in need of help and support and lending a hand at the dinner table.

Ball said: “I have been in the Reserves at Spurs and when you come up here it is completely different.

“The whole community is great, so many people support Rangers and it is massive. For me to help out, it is the least I can do.

“I am up here staying on my own but it has been made much easier by the fans and everyone at the club. People support their team, they are passionate about Rangers and being a part of that is massive for me.

Promoted stories

Recommended by

“I did a few events at Spurs but I am doing it more regularly now and it is good for me.

“It is nice to get out, to see people and to help people. Hopefully I can keep doing that while I am here.

"It puts it into perspective, you have to be grateful and appreciate everything you have. And for me it is just giving it back and helping out with everyone."

Rangers heroes Kenny Miller, Mark Hateley and Fernando Ricksen backed the fund-raising initiative and visited the sleep outs to lend their support to the cause as the participants were given an insight into the plight of those who sleep rough in Glasgow

The cash from the Charity Foundation will allow the Mission provide advocacy services for those who find themselves with no alternative but to sleep on the streets.

Connal Cochrane, Director of the Foundation, said: “We’ve been overwhelmed by the support of our fans for the Sleep Out events – they’ve really taken the cause to their heart.

"It’s incredible that we have managed to raise such a massive sum for Glasgow City Mission’s Winter Night Shelter and I can’t thank everyone involved enough for their commitment and generosity.”

Rangers launched their involvement with the Mission in September as midfielder Andy Halliday spent time at the Crimea Street Centre and kicked-off a bid to raise £25,000.

Halliday's mother, Lynne, works at the Glasgow City Mission’s Child and Family Centre in Govan and the 24-year-old played his part in raising awareness for the charity.

And Managing Director Stewart Robertson is delighted the club have been able to play their part in helping people across Glasgow.

He said: “It’s been fantastic to see the number of fans who have stepped up to take part in the Foundation’s Sleep Out events and have raised so much money for a great cause.

Share article

"The total has smashed the Foundation’s pledge of £25,000, meaning there will be funds to help the shelter again next winter, and this is testimony to the huge commitment and generosity of the Rangers support.”

*For further information on the Rangers Charity Foundation please contact: 0141-580 8775 or email rangerscharity@rangers.co.uk

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/14162284

Edited by chilledbear