Rangers, Identity and Nationalism

Andy, my perception of the SNP was based around the perception of some of their detractors who simplify things by viewing them in some way as a kind of Scottish counterpart of Sinn Fein; since those people seem to think (without any real evidence IMO) that Celtic supporters are in the main those who have been signing up to the SNP in their droves. I think they have been attracting support simply because of the failure of Labour north and south of the border to provide an antidote to the Thatcherite model so unappealing in Scotland. Now that Corbyn has been turning Labour back to traditional labour values we may find that the SNP starts to lose its appeal as an alternative opposition.

Andy, my perception of the SNP was based around the perception of some of their detractors who simplify things by viewing them in some way as a kind of Scottish counterpart of Sinn Fein; since those people seem to think (without any real evidence IMO) that Celtic supporters are in the main those who have been signing up to the SNP in their droves. I think they have been attracting support simply because of the failure of Labour north and south of the border to provide an antidote to the Thatcherite model so unappealing in Scotland. Now that Corbyn has been turning Labour back to traditional labour values we may find that the SNP starts to lose its appeal as an alternative opposition.

The yahoos will always support & sign up to the party in power in Scotland. Then they get themselves & their own into positions of power.

That's why they've been 'signing up to the SNP in their droves' as you say

The yahoos will always support & sign up to the party in power in Scotland. Then they get themselves & their own into positions of power.

If what you say is correct, then there is going to be one hell of a political bloodbath within the SNP at some point; to equate Scottish nationalism with Sinn Fein or Irish republicanism is to completely misunderstand the history of the two countries. I suspect that teacher lassie who posted that twitter rubbish (and is now being disciplined) comes into that category. A little learning is a dangerous thing.

Spot on. And that means three things:

1. The SNP are bad for us as Rangers fans.

2. The country at large is against us.

3. We have to unite and fight against it.

I'm sure Frankie ran a poll on here on the build up to the Yes/No campaign and the majority voted YES? It even made headlines in one of the newspapers!

All the more baffling when (some) Scotland fans seek to stereotype us as some kind of Churchill-worshipping, UKIP, monarchist reactionaries!

All the more baffling when (some) Scotland fans seek to stereotype us as some kind of Churchill-worshipping, UKIP, monarchist reactionaries!

I know a father & son who are season ticket holders at the piggery...senior voted No, junior voted Yes.

I studied Churchill at Uni and admired the man.

I believe in the Monarchy.

I would have voted for UKIP but couldn't.

As meatloaf said....don't be sad....two out of three aint bad.

If what you say is correct, then there is going to be one hell of a political bloodbath within the SNP at some point; to equate Scottish nationalism with Sinn Fein or Irish republicanism is to completely misunderstand the history of the two countries. I suspect that teacher lassie who posted that twitter rubbish (and is now being disciplined) comes into that category. A little learning is a dangerous thing.

Today's SNP is a left-wing republican party not unlike SInn Fein or Irish Republicanism. Past history is irrelevant.

The SNP aim is independence and they don't care how they get it nor do they care what would happen post-independence. At the referendum last year they went around saying an independent Scotland would have currency union with rUK which was a blatant lie. To have that would have required the B of E to be an independent Scotland's central bank(lender of last resort). & there's no way Westminster would have allowed that. Not to mention all the other lies they spouted about EU membership, NATO membership, oil revenues etc.

I was very proud to be a Rangers supporter who stood up as part of the 55percent who rejected this nonsense.

Edited by RANGERRAB

I'm sure Frankie ran a poll on here on the build up to the Yes/No campaign and the majority voted YES? It even made headlines in one of the newspapers!

Cameron was a buffoon who allowed the SNP to set he referendum question IIRC.

The question should have been whether Scotland should have separated from the UK or not. If so I think the 55 percent would have been greater