Barry Ferguson: When I see Jason Holt play...

... I'm reminded of Rangers legend Ian Durrant.

BARRY, who grew up watching Durrant, reckons Holt has the chance to be a major player for Rangers for the next five to 10 years.

HEARTS haven’t done a lot wrong in the last couple of years but letting Jason Holt go may be a decision they live to regret.

Their loss is Rangers’ gain and I am not surprised the Ibrox club want to extend his contract beyond its expiry of 2018.

Holt has been a revelation in the Rangers midfield and his ability to go beyond the strikers and get on the end of chances marks him out as someone special.

Goalscoring midfielders are worth their weight in goals and he’s got nine so far – almost all of them vital.

He’s still young at 22 and will get better. How much better? Let’s say he’s got a chance to be a major player for Rangers for the next five to 10 years.

I grew up watching a young Ian Durrant bursting from the midfield to get on the end of chances. He was incredible at it and in front of goal he was clinical.

There is no doubt that but for the horrible injury he sustained at Aberdeen, he’d have gone on to become one of Europe’s top midfielders.

Don’t get me wrong, he was still a very good player after that knee injury, but before it he was a truly special talent.

I’m won’t put pressure on Jason by saying he can be better than Durranty but there are similarities in the way they play and Holt can continue to improve.

It makes sense to get him on a longer contract and the same goes for Andy Halliday.

Record Sport reported that talks with Halliday, Holt and Barrie McKay have opened and I can see why. For me, McKay is still one for the future although he has played a massive part under Mark Warburton.

He has been terrific and his development is all the more remarkable as during his loan spells at Raith and Morton there were times it looked like his career was stalling.

McKay still has a way to go but Halliday is the real deal. I’ve been saying for ages he can play. He was with me at Blackpool and it was obvious he was a top-class pro.

He’s settled in at Rangers exactly as I expected him to and his love for the club helps.

But that can only take you so far, there are hundreds of thousands of Rangers fans who would give anything to pull on the jersey, but if they don’t have the ability they wouldn’t make it.

Halliday has the ability and mentality to handle it. He’s another who can be there for a long time and will be a huge asset when the club returns to the top league.

He came to Ibrox from Bradford and Rangers have been delving into the English lower leagues again, securing Accrington Stanley’s Josh Windass and Matt Crooks. I know there will be fans shaking their heads thinking: ‘is this what it has come to? League Two players?’

My answer is watch them play before you judge them. There are a lot of gems in that market, believe me.

At one stage I was on loan at Fleetwood Town, so I have experience of how good some of these lads are. It was the same at Birmingham. We’d play lower league clubs in the cups and I’d always come off thinking: ‘that lad can play or this boy is decent’.

Obviously, Rangers fans remember the days when the club could go out and buy the finished article. Now it’s about finding young players with potential and improving them.

Warburton is ideally suited to that, given his experience with youth players in England – and there are signs chief scout Frank McParland has got his feet under the table and is now down to work.

He’ll no doubt have run the rule over Windass and Crooks – and Harry Forrester, who was brought in from Doncaster.

These boys will be good signings for Rangers. Warburton’s squad comprises of only around 18 players at the moment and needs strengthened. He’s going the right way about it.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barry-ferguson-see-jason-holt-7136398

That is exactly what I thought this afternoon. If I was the Clyde chairman I would be thinking "How about your own club."

You're biased though,regardless of what BF says you will dismiss, rendering your opinion invalid

Edited by ian1964

You're biased though,regardless of what BF says you will dismiss, rendering your opinion invalid

I agree I don't like Ferguson but I was now thinking as the Clyde Chairman. Would we like it if MW kept writing about Brentford. I am not so sure my opinion is completely invalid.

I agree I don't like Ferguson but I was now thinking as the Clyde Chairman. Would we like it if MW kept writing about Brentford. I am not so sure my opinion is completely invalid.

In nearly every interview I have seen from MW he mentions Brentford FC!,it bothers me not a jot.

As for BF article, I am not a big fan of his articles,however he is just about spot on with what he is saying!.

Discussing BF with you is like discussing Rangers with a C****c fan!

In nearly every interview I have seen from MW he mentions Brentford FC!,it bothers me not a jot.

As for BF article, I am not a big fan of his articles,however he is just about spot on with what he is saying!.

Discussing BF with you is like discussing Rangers with a C****c fan!

Not quite, I do respect some of his past.