Rangers coach raves about teenage wonderkid Liam Burt, linked to bitter rivals

Rangers coach Ian Durrant has been raving about Liam Burt, who was recently linked to Celtic.

Rangers coach Ian Durrant has told the official club website he wishes he could have a whole youth team made up of players like Liam Burt.

Burt, 16, was part of the Rangers under-20 team which suffered a narrow 2-1 loss to St Johnstone.

Durrant feels the teenager put his more senior teammates to shame, and set a shining example.

He said: "Liam has been fantastic; he showed what he can do again with a great goal and some great touches – I just wish we’d had eight or nine Liam Burt’s today.”

The next team the under-20 team face are rivals Celtic, a club linked with signing Burt earlier in the transfer window.

The Scottish Sun reported Celtic were hoping to lure Burt to make a switch, but Rangers are confident they can get the teenager to sign a new contract.

By giving him chances to play with players above his age group they are doing all the right things in terms of his development.

Burt is a Scotland youth international of who there are high hopes. While his coaching staff continue to rave about him in the manner Durrant has, the hype will continue to build.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/27/rangers-coach-raves-about-teenage-wonderkid-liam-burt-linked-to/page/1/

It would be horrible if we lost him or any player to Celtic.

The way MW has revamped the club and the pathway he's starting to create for youngsters to reach the first team, then one can only assume the lad or any other youth player doing well would be absolutely mental to jump ship.

Although we know money talks ......

Not sure whether that path for youngsters is fully in place yet. The number of top team chances for teenagers in our youth academy has actually been very limited, probably in large due to the playing of Oduwa, Ball and Zelalem. Mackay is the only one given real game time, at 20-21 years old and had already had plenty of game time while 17-18.

Edited by calscot

I watched Burt training at Auchenhowie when back home in October and he is a fine player who you wouldn't think was a 16 yr old. Didn't look out of place alongside Murdoch.

Speaking to some of the coaches they have very high hopes for the lad, rightly so based on what limited experience I had of seeing him train.

Not sure whether that path for youngsters is fully in place yet. The number of top team chances for teenagers in our youth academy has actually been very limited, probably in large due to the playing of Oduwa, Ball and Zelalem. Mackay is the only one given real game time, at 20-21 years old and had already had plenty of game time while 17-18.

I mean the way they are invited to train with the first team etc, and I genuinely believe if they are good enough they will get a chance. It's just difficult for Hardie to replace Waggy or Thomson to replace Halliday. Although it's still good to see these lads get some minutes and they are obviously training with the first team every day.

I would like to see them get more game time when we are up a few goals in games. Or playing lesser teams at home, but the issue with that is do we want to disrupt a winning team on a good run. Two sides to the coin etc.

I'm happy to trust the management team for once when it comes to development. Been a long time since I've said that.

Oduwa 19 Ball 21 Zelalem just turned 19. Not sure the path for youngsters is fully in place yet???

MW has made it clear to all & sundry that developing young hungry players is the way forward for the club & he is nurturing that belief through all age groups, that they can make the top team. He will decide if they are good enough & that will be the final criteria; ability. On the general point, we have to accept that they have cash to throw around & nothing brings them any more pleasure than stealing players from us. They have been doing it for 10 years +. All we can do is offer the opportunity to be a Ranger, to make wearing the jersey worth something more than money. Point out that they WILL be given the opportunity to play at the top level & that if the Evil Empire have approached them, warn them that they may be about to sell their soul for filthy lucre & that there is a very strong possibility that they will never get anywhere near a first team slot. Ask McGeoch, Allen etc

Oduwa 19 Ball 21 Zelalem just turned 19. Not sure the path for youngsters is fully in place yet???

MW has made it clear to all & sundry that developing young hungry players is the way forward for the club & he is nurturing that belief through all age groups, that they can make the top team. He will decide if they are good enough & that will be the final criteria; ability. On the general point, we have to accept that they have cash to throw around & nothing brings them any more pleasure than stealing players from us. They have been doing it for 10 years +. All we can do is offer the opportunity to be a Ranger, to make wearing the jersey worth something more than money. Point out that they WILL be given the opportunity to play at the top level & that if the Evil Empire have approached them, warn them that they may be about to sell their soul for filthy lucre & that there is a very strong possibility that they will never get anywhere near a first team slot. Ask McGeoch, Allen etc

I was just going to mention that. I think I would rather work with Warburton than Dahlia as well.