Official: New Deals For Management Duo

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/new-deals-management-duo/

RANGERS Manager Mark Warburton and Assistant Manager David Weir have signed new long-term contracts with the Club – with both now committed to Rangers until the end of May 2019.

Mark and David enjoyed a successful debut season at Ibrox driving Rangers back to Scottish football’s top flight by winning the Championship, securing a Scottish Cup Final place following victory against Celtic and clinching the Challenge Cup.

Announcing the new deal Rangers Managing Director Stewart Robertson said: “Our decision to reward Mark and David with significantly improved contracts was primarily driven by our recognition of their role in transforming the football department at all levels throughout the Club and their desire to continue with that project in the seasons ahead.

“We have sold more than 41,000 season tickets and, like everyone at the Club, our supporters are looking forward to seeing the team compete in the top flight once again – both domestically and in Europe.

“Mark and David have worked with Frank McParland to identify and recruit a number of players for the campaign ahead and we are all relishing Rangers’ return to competitive action under their stewardship.”

Mark Warburton added: “I have said this many times since moving to Glasgow but it really is a huge honour and privilege to be Manager of Rangers Football Club and I am thrilled to agree a new contract.

“This is a special football club with passionate supporters and the football department will continue to work hard to build on the solid foundations laid down last season.

“Our debut campaign in Scotland was certainly a positive one but we are all working tirelessly to deliver continued success for our fans. Competing at the highest level is the least our supporters deserve and we look forward to playing at a packed Ibrox every other week. I thank the Rangers Board for again backing my player acquisition plan and we are all eagerly anticipating the start of 2016/17.”

David Weir commented: “Mark and I have enjoyed every second of our time in Glasgow so far but the adventure is just beginning and we are all excited to start the new season. I told Mark what a unique and special club Rangers was before we started our work here and he has now experienced it for himself.

“Our fans have given Mark, myself, the backroom team and the players tremendous backing since we arrived and I would like to thank them and indeed the Rangers Board for their unwavering support. We enjoyed a productive pre-season trip to America recently and we are all excited about the new season ahead.”

This cannot be true.

I seem to remember the usual suspects in mainstream media(both print and broadcast) telling us that our Manager was off to Fulham, Derby County, Spurs as Assistant Manager, ............... etc. The reasoning was that the club could not afford a promised £500,000 bonus due at the start of this season. A lot of meat on the bones of a story that once again appears to be wishful thinking.

Still, BBC Scotland's Chief Football Reporter, Chris McLaughlin is currently in Gibraltar with his beloved green'n'grey hooped heroes, and we know he checks with the Match Commander for sectarian related arrests before delivering his match report. Thus expect sectarianly motivated Barbary Apes to descend from the rock and enter the field of play to fight. All happy hoopsters remain in a state of serene exuberance.