Charity collection this Saturday

This Saturday the Rangers Charity Foundation are hosting a collection for the Ibrox Parish foodbank collection outside the ground. As most will know there's an Asda about 5 minutes walk from the ground so if you can afford to go the game you can manage a tin of veg or some UHT milk. Alternatively, you can donate cash in a collecting bucket. This is being quite heavily trailed in the media and on social media by people like the local MP ( so it would be good to get a strong response.

Having done some collecting for the local foodbank I know people sometimes raise concerns about scroungers and skivers getting food for nothing. All I can say is that I've only seen people with chronic problems in their lives using the service, from family breakdowns to mental health issues. Qute a few ex-servicemen as well, which seems incredible in these days of Help for Heroes and the like. Bottom line is that even if some people are swinging the lead the vast majority are simply people in need and that makes it sadly necessary, far as I'm concerned anyway.

Here's the spiel from the club's website, hopefully they won't mind copying and pasting this one:

Supporters of both clubs will be able to donate items outside the Rangers Megastore on Saturday up to 3pm and those not attending but who would like to help are invited to drop donations off during office hours up until 5pm on Friday at the foundation’s offices at Argyle House, Ibrox Stadium.

Fans are asked to bring dried goods listed below and to dig deep into their pockets and make a financial donation if possible at one of the collection buckets around the stadium.

Full list of items required: UHT or powdered milk, sugar, fruit juice in cartons, pasta sauces, tinned sponge pudding and rice pudding, tinned tomatoes and other vegetables, tinned fruit,tinned meat and fish, rice and pasta, cereal, jam, tea and instant coffee, biscuits or snack bars, Instant mash potatoes, tinned soup, tinned beans, and toiletries including toilet roll, toothpaste and feminine hygiene products.

http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-news/glasgow-foodbanks-emergency-appeal-after-school-holidays-leave-shelves-bare?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TFN+digest+Tuesday+16+August+2016&utm_content=TFN+digest+Tuesday+16+August+2016+CID_ca76fe569a5ddc7f4fdc8cad5ceaf20b&utm_source=Email+marketing+software&utm_term=Glasgow+foodbanks+emergency+appeal+after+school+holidays+leave+shelves+bare

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisStephensSNP/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Good news, Germinal, and something which you quite rightly say is poorly understood by some. Fwiw anyone using the services of a food bank must be referred there by a GP or Social Worker or mental health professionals etc.

If anyone reading this thinks they are scrounging they couldn't be further from the truth. People don't wake up in the morning to decide to go through weeks if not months convincing professionals of their need for a basic food parcel, in many cases it's a starvation saving necessity.

Give generously folks, millions are just one pay check away from this scenario too. There are many reasons this horrible scenario could befall anyone.

Edited by cooponthewing

Sadly I'm not back home till a week on Friday so can't really partake. Would be excellent if they made this a regular occurrence though.

I often put my hand in my pocket for these type things - I don't think that we should refuse to partake because of the odd person that is abusing the system - there are plenty who not only need it but are eternally grateful for the help they receive.

It is a sad indication of the times that so many people require such assistance.

Good news, Germinal, and something which you quite rightly say is poorly understood by some. Fwiw anyone using the services of a food bank must be referred there by a GP or Social Worker or mental health professionals etc..

Presumably those who qualify do so on financial grounds? How does a GP assess whether someone qualifies? Or is it just on the basis that someone is unable to work? (I'm obviously one of those who doesn't know much about it).

It's frequently through social workers however GPs may feel a patient was not able to feed themselves and this would affect their health. In other examples a social worker may feel that a person is financially unable to feed themselves or their family etc. Unfortunately the first point of call for people in this situation is frequently their GP or social work dept as they have nowhere left to turn. It makes sense those on the frontline can refer them. It has nothing to do with employment. It's purely based on your ability to feed yourself or your family, financially or otherwise.

Other mental health professionals can also refer someone if they can't look after themselves in order to eat properly.

These are just a few examples, I could write all day with all of them, however it's important to note that nobody receives cash. It's a voucher system and people will receive vouchers for a food parcel from the food bank.

It's not an unlimited supply, and you are limited to three parcels in a set time period(can't remember how long?.)

I wasn't having a go at anyone when I said it wasn't understood by some, people have their opinions. It's very unfair imo that the majority who are in dire need are stereotyped as scroungers.

Hope that helps Bluedell?

I know that you weren't mate and thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

My wife works voluntary for a foodbank here in Germany and says it is nearly all east Europeans\Russians that use it. She won't give the packets out though as she says they are a bunch of ungrateful barstewards. In her foodbank they sort all the fruit and veg removing all chipped fruit or ugly vegetables whereas in Holland you are handed a box and you can sort the good and bad yourself.

I've seen a couple of articles on food bank donations in Belgium where the supermarkets proactively get involved and donate there leftover food. Best before dates are just that for example"best before" no reason they can't be eaten. Charity's get involved and the food goes to those most in need.

Is there anything similar in Germany Pete? Its absolutely disgraceful here the situation with food waste, especially by supermarkets chains, when we have people resorting to food banks due to various circumstances and supermarket chains are disposing of tons at a time.

Edited by cooponthewing

My mother-in-law dumps anything that is even on the same day as the "best before" date - drives my Mrs mad the amount of money and, more importantly, the food she wastes.

I'm sure I saw on the US news the other week that as much as 42% of food in the US is wasted.