Looking ahead to Sept 10 and our midfield

What would be your preferred middle 3 for the game vs them on the 10th?. Going by the way we played in the semi final with the excellent ball retention by Halliday , Holt and Ball i would go with Rossiter , Halliday and Holt if fit as our ball retention must be up to the mark if we are going to get a positive result.

I don't expect Barton to be left out by the Magic Hat but going by the games we have played Barton has been the player who has the worst passing ability of the above players mentioned. Sometimes he tries too many "World cup" passes resulting in us giving up possession. Barton may still not be at 100% yet but like Halliday looks a little bit lost when pushed further forward. Its been mentioned quite a lot on social media that there is a concern that out passing isn't as sharp as it was last season.....it could be down to the increased ability of the top flight teams?? but i just think we are a bit slower moving the ball forward sometimes.

Against Dundee especially in the first half the Barton , Halliday and Rossiter middle 3 did control the game , possibly for up to 60 mins until the subsitutions. It was the best showing so far this season of ball retention and i wouldn't be surprised if those 3 are our midfield on Sept 10th.

There has been an awful lot of chat about this Celtic game and possible scenarios with regards to it. We still have 2 important competitive fixtures before that starting with Killie tonight. I think we'll be in a better place to judge a starting 11 after these two games and a few of the boys should be up to full fitness and back from injury then.

What is the other competitive match before Celtic?

Id ring the changes for Parkhead. Barton is lucky and I think got away without any damage so should make the game. At the moment Id play Barton with Halliday sitting with probably Forrester ahead of them in a diamond and 2 wider players - Mckay on the left and Tavernier on the right with Hodson stepping in at RB.

Again it depends on Waghorn's fitness - he is a must if available.

We've a home game in the cup. Let's give that our full attention before we go anywhere. We've no right to compete in this league, we have to earn it. Right now we are far from earning it. When the Rangers captain is amongst the players needing dropped suggests we have problems

We've a home game in the cup. Let's give that our full attention before we go anywhere. We've no right to compete in this league, we have to earn it. Right now we are far from earning it. When the Rangers captain is amongst the players needing dropped suggests we have problems

Next cup match is 20th Sept Vs QotS. 10 days after Celtic away.

I agree with you Gribz except I would play Rossiter ahead of Barton every day of the week.

It MIGHT be the one game where playing all 3 (Halliday, Barton, Rossiter) is justified if we still go 4-3-3. But I agree with Frankie a 4-2-3-1 would probably suit us better at the moment until MW works our his favoured midfield. And 4-2-3-1 would mean changes as per my earlier post.