New Kit Boycott

Yeh, I was there myself that day mate. I'm on about protest every single home game rather than a headline grabber.

Get the concept Boabie, but would also imagine that a protest every other Saturday could bring it's own issues, the protesters would have to be very well self-policed and would have to refrain from intimidation , anyone trying to get into the shop who felt they were threatened could very well generate negative publicity.

Also the livelihoods of the store employees should be considered.

There is no easy answer to all this I fear, despite DK saying some time ago that a resolution was imminent.

In reality I think the boycott (of which I do my best to support) has very little effect other than reduce the little revenue Rangers receive from this JV even further.

Boycotting gives us fans a avenue to feel we are taking action against SD and helping Rangers in the process, how much this influences the position of SD is very debatable.

My own opinion is that boycotting is this instance does very little other than provide a method for fans to "believe" they are making a difference when in fact there is very little of any significance we can achieve.

Get the concept Boabie, but would also imagine that a protest every other Saturday could bring it's own issues, the protesters would have to be very well self-policed and would have to refrain from intimidation , anyone trying to get into the shop who felt they were threatened could very well generate negative publicity.

There is no easy answer to all this I fear, despite DK saying some time ago that a resolution was imminent.

In reality I think the boycott (of which I do my best to support) has very little effect other than reduce the little revenue Rangers receive from this JV even further.

Boycotting gives us fans a avenue to feel we are taking action against SD and helping Rangers in the process, how much this influences the position of SD is very debatable.

My own opinion is that boycotting is this instance does very little other than provide a method for fans to "believe" they are making a difference when in fact there is very little of any significance we can achieve.

Good post Gaspard which gives us a lot to think about. You are correct in thinking about the livelihood of the shop employees and I have to imagine Rangers Retail are paying their wages. I do however think missing out on thousands in sales of replica kits must have a significant effect. I would agree that if we did put protesters on the door then they certainly must low key pamphlet distributors and certainly not aggressive activists.

Mate, if protests stop Ashley and his leeches gaining from the sale of even one jersey then I'd consider it worthwhile.

I will guarantee that King and the rest of the board would forego what little we gain from the contract in its entirety and come out with a full scale call for all Rangers supporters to boycott the shop if they were legally allowed to.

When Ashley is paying rates, electricity, etc for a shop that sells hee-haw I'm certain he'd have second thoughts. As for the staff - sorry but that's the nature of the game. None of my kids would be working in there.

Each and every Rangers fan would have the personal satisfaction of knowing they had done just a little bit. I find that personally satisfying myself. Even if Ashley won't go bankrupt through my denying him 50 quid or so.

Good post Gaspard which gives us a lot to think about. You are correct in thinking about the livelihood of the shop employees and I have to imagine Rangers Retail are paying their wages. I do however think missing out on thousands in sales of replica kits must have a significant effect. I would agree that if we did put protesters on the door then they certainly must low key pamphlet distributors and certainly not aggressive activists.

SD/MA missing out on thousands of shirt sales was certainly not part of their strategy when this contract was negotiated that's for sure. But from what we are told SD has had ample opportunities to renegotiate the terms, which I'm sure would have generated more revenue for both parties.

They have failed to do so, so obviously they are either

happy with the status quo,

too stubborn to back down

have not been offered terms that are acceptable

are worried release of contract details would be compromising

Unfortunately cannot see a boycott influencing any of the above to any significant extent.

Sport Direct are suffering at the moment though and would want to avoid any further reputational damage, this begs the question, why has someone not accidentally left some contract details in the back of a taxi or in Costa café?

Rangers are effectively gagged regarding this contract, but I am genuinely surprised there has been no leakage, there usually are ways and means.