The state of the national side

We haven't qualified for a major tournament in 18 years and it's debatable if this is going to change any time soon. What is being done to fix this? If you look at the team tonight, you only need to look at the clubs these players play for to see the level we're at. Five players from the English Championship and three from a bottom end Premiership team. This just isn't good enough. If these players were supplemented with a few higher quality players like Wales have things might be a bit better. That isn't the case though.

Is money being spent on grass roots football? Are coaching methods being changed? Is there a plan?

When is the last time Scotland produced a genuine world class footballer? I think Barry Ferguson is the only top player we've had in my lifetime; however, as good as he was, he wasn't world class.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I could be here all day writing about the state of it. But you only have to look at the state of the game in general in Scotland to see its rubbing off on the leagues and the national side. Its been on a decline for 15 years now.

Until absolute reform from top to bottom of the organisations is done then don't expect anything to improve. League reform to 2 divisions and summer football is the first thing needing done then having people who know a thing about the game in charge.

Qualification is actually getting easier these days as N Iron, Wales, Iceland etc can all vouch for. The WC qualifying groups throw up Italy and Spain together and France with Netherlands making it difficult for some of the better sides but Scotland seem to be the only country that finds it more tricky.

I actually posted this in another thread, but it fits better here:

I'm not sure what Scotland's style is? Someone on twitter rightly said it looks like a ragtag bunch of individuals. As ineffective as Rangers are at the moment, at least there's a recognisable style. The only reason they got the draw was because they resorted to lumping it into the box at every opportunity, even allowing CB's to go forward when there was a free-kick in their own half. In open play they didn't have a scooby!

Of course the talent pool is poor, but surely there's a group of players there that someone -- obviously not Strachan -- can fashion a decent team and playing style out of? I always think that a national side should be based on a club side, in terms of style and core of players. Clearly Rangers, and begrudgingly Celtic, are trying to play the game a certain way; why not fashion a team from that? Get Wilson (yes, not the best but he can fit into the style) and McKay in, Tierney, Griffiths, Forrest etc. Bannan can pass the ball well, McArthur is a good worker, Burke has a good future and will learn a hell of a lot more in Germany than in the UK. Surely there is a half-decent team there that can play a better style of football?