Fernando Ricksen film to go ahead after Rangers fans raise over £20,000 for project

A documentary following Fernando Ricksen's fight against Motor Neurone Disease will go ahead after fans pledged £20,000 in cash.*

Rangers supporters rallied behind the £18,000 project after Dutch TV producers campaigned for support so the filming could take place.

The project gained mass attention after documentary makers released a harrowing clip of the 40-year-old being fed by his wife and walked out of their home.

Donations for the project will now see the footage turned into an hour long film, planned for screenings in Holland and Scotland.*

The two-minute clip from Fernando Ricksen: The Final Battle, gives an intimate insight into the former international footballer's personal life.*

The Dutchman was diagnosed with the terminal disease three years ago and given 15 months to live. But he has vowed to become the first person to beat it.

The footie-legend, who made over 200 appearances for Rangers FC, launched*Fernando Ricksen Foundation at Ibrox last year, which aims to raise money for medicines and vital research into the condition.

To donate to the project visit*https://cinecrowd.com/en/fernandoricksen

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15057265.Fernando_Ricksen_film_to_go_ahead_after_Rangers_fans_raise_over___20_000_for_project/

Surely the £20K would be better going to MND charities, than to pay film makers wages to produce a film about such a sad plight. I would certainly never watch a film showing a young guy with a young family wasting away with a horrible condition.

It would be hoped to highlight the plight of not just Fernando but thousands and their families everywhere suffering through this illness. I guess the hope would be it would manage to benefit charities more in the long run. Like all illnesses it is horrible, undignifying and cruel.

It would be hoped to highlight the plight of not just Fernando but thousands and their families everywhere suffering through this illness. I guess the hope would be it would manage to benefit charities more in the long run. Like all illnesses it is horrible, undignifying and cruel.

I get that coop, I just personally would never watch a program like that on tv, it's so sad and depressing. I'm surely not alone in this? Ricksens devastating plight is really well known already, this begging for £20K to make another piece of film about him, which isn't going to be good viewing, just doesn't sit right with me from the film-makers.