The ultimate chicken & egg conundrum -Rangers style

What came first -the chicken or the egg?

The age old question took a Rangers twist yesterday when the club announced officially that the manager, his assistant & the head of recruitment had all resigned.

Much has since been written about the counter-claim, the various leaks and drip-feeding of snippets of information, mis-information, and downright fiction.

It seems that a breakdown in trust and relations between the chairman and the manager has been months in the making, culminating in the events of this week.

The chicken and egg question comes in what came first -King's lack of confidence in MW after a disastrous start to this campaign and a poor summer transfer window, or Warburtons lack of confidence in King for having to make do with second or third choices due to lack of funds or poor contract negotiations with targets.

Both have been guilty of briefing against the other privately while putting on a brave face publicly.

A lot of this seasons questions that have had us supporters scratching our heads are now making more sense with hindsight and conjecture. Has the players poor form been partly due to them knowing about MW whoring himself (via the agent) to all English jobs that come along? Football is a small world and inside info and gossip is rife. Is this why some players chose not to come either in the summer or the window just closed? Or has the frustration caused by a lack of support for the manager spilled over to the squad?

I certainly don't know the answers to any of the above and, like the Barton affair, doubt we will get the truth anytime soon.

What is clear-ish is that both parties have handled this shambolicly. That our club is, again, a laughing stock and making all the wrong headlines for all the wrong reasons. If we thought the club handled the Barton affair badly, this makes that look like a minor tif.

It is clear they won't be back. What happens from here with what we have to pay in termination payments (anything from nothing to £1.5M) will again probably not be announced at any point.

Our only chance of silverware is on the line tomorrow in a crucial Scottish Cup tie which we now have an inexperienced under 20's coach (and Celtic fan) Graeme Murty in charge of. There have been many comparisons between PLG & MW in terms of overhauling the entire club over Warburton's tenure, the final act better not be a repeat of the Scottish cup tie that our then youth coach, Ian Durrant, had to step up and manage at Dunfermline a decade ago.

I have read a lot about bringing in a short-term fix to the end of the season and then making a "proper" appointment at that time. Again, history can tell us this doesn't work. We only need to go back 2 years to see the evidence of this, when short-term fix McColl failed to see it through as we were thrashed in the play-off against Motherwell after coming only third in the second tier of Scottish football.

The added component this time is the very early, and vitally crucial to our whole season and finances, Europa League qualifiers that start barely a few weeks after our final league match or Cup Final. I was angry at our lack of permanent signings last month as I felt we had to have the vast majority of our first team players in and settled to give us the best chance of success to the group stages, however recent events have shown why this was the case and is far more understandable, if still damaging to our chances.

I am not going to suggest a name to be the new manager, but I hope it is a permanent appointment whoever the board choose.

The Warburton era is over, a lot sooner than we hoped when the talk was of a magic hat. It turns out it was his disappearing trick that had the fans gasping in amazement at the end.

Anyone turning up at Rangers claiming to own any magical implements, having visions, speaking in voices, claim I see dead people or even a case of Rangeritis. Should be burnt at the stake.

You want to ritually sacrifice rasellik and its support, then?