Data Modelling(youth football)

Below is a link to the Wired series on data modelling in association with Microsoft.

Benfica have generated £270m in transfer fees selling 13 players over 6 seasons, something i think we all agree is the correct course for Rangers to follow. Probably the weakest part of our clubs business for as long as i can remember is making returns on player investments, breaking that cycle at the club will take time and understanding of the difficulties faced, and just how far ahead of us other teams are.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/microsoft-sl-benfica

[video=youtube_share;A3JQCsM2qfA]

2c2c3e9792fc450b41618db99b4a2dee.png

Edited by trublusince1982

“The future of sports is trending towards data dependence – making it actionable will be key,

the future of a lot of industries are/will be relying on it

however, is this system not a moot point for us any way regarding the fact that portuguese teams can sign the best up and coming south american talent without the work permit problems we would face?

the future of a lot of industries are/will be relying on it

however, is this system not a moot point for us any way regarding the fact that portuguese teams can sign the best up and coming south american talent without the work permit problems we would face?

The system just basically helps identify problems. It can do things like measure a childs sleep patterns before a big game, letting you know is he tired are there problems at home etc etc Its all just about nipping things in the bud on one hand whilst in the other you are getting youth players used to living like athletes, thinking about food,sleep, muscle care things like that.

I think we already use it to a degree, most training sessions i see we have the GPS system on.

Data dependence is the same for me, its all just about sorting the data correctly so you can be more assured in your decisions and not dependant on a specific employee. With systems like this in place it doesnt hurt so much when a coach or such leaves, as the data remains.

Not sure if Portugal's WP situation is much different than ours,naively i thought across europe it was basically the same with some minor tweaks.

The system just basically helps identify problems. It can do things like measure a childs sleep patterns before a big game, letting you know is he tired are there problems at home etc etc Its all just about nipping things in the bud on one hand whilst in the other you are getting youth players used to living like athletes, thinking about food,sleep, muscle care things like that.

I think we already use it to a degree, most training sessions i see we have the GPS system on.

Data dependence is the same for me, its all just about sorting the data correctly so you can be more assured in your decisions and not dependant on a specific employee. With systems like this in place it doesnt hurt so much when a coach or such leaves, as the data remains.

Not sure if Portugal's WP situation is much different than ours,naively i thought across europe it was basically the same with some minor tweaks.

yes like polishing a rough diamond to its shiniest

but you need the diamond to begin with lest you end up rolling a turd in glitter

yes like polishing a rough diamond to its shiniest

but you need the diamond to begin with lest you end up rolling a turd in glitter

depends if your holding it up against good diamonds. Whats good here might be mediocre in portugal etc.

Plus with brexit the WP situation could swing in our favour or not of course.

had a quick google of Portugal's WP criteria and seems the exact same as ours plus they must adhere to fifa and uefa criteria and cannot attract youth players from outside (think its) 60 miles from your stadium/academy until over a certain age the same as us.

Benfica have generated £270m in transfer fees selling 13 players over 6 seasons, ...

WIthout looking this up, I would assume that most money being generated by Portuguese clubs is by snapping up Brazilian talent on the cheap on heinously long deals, develop them a little and sell them with enormous profits?

EDIT: A quick check of the 10m+ sales of these last years yield Brazilians, Cap Verde, Angola, and Urugayan players ... plus a few Portuguese chaps ...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/benfica-lissabon/alletransfers/verein/294

Edited by der Berliner

WIthout looking this up, I would assume that most money being generated by Portuguese clubs is by snapping up Brazilian talent on the cheap on heinously long deals, develop them a little and sell them with enormous profits?

EDIT: A quick check of the 10m+ sales of these last years yield Brazilians, Cap Verde, Angola, and Urugayan players ... plus a few Portuguese chaps ...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/benfica-lissabon/alletransfers/verein/294

not really. 4 out the top 5 sales are Portuguese. The Angolan is Portuguese he was born in Angola but moved to Portugal when he was very young. He holds dual citizenship and signed for benfica when he was 8 years old. The brazilain cost just under £4m when he was 20 and sold for £8mish

The argentinian cost £7m when he was about 20 years old.

... yep, but it is a trend. Methinks Porto is well down that road.

BTW, dual citizenship is the very excuse that they can bring in so many non-Europeans ...

there is of course the language and weather advantage also

in a country where the likes of gary kenneth can get an international cap tells me the whole thing is rotten