Robbed from football365 mailbox

What's Entertainment Got To Do With It?

When did we start going to watch football for entertainment?

All this talk about people want ManYoo to win the FA Cup and league ahead of Chelsea has got me thinking. The reasons given are because Chelsea are evil, classless and horrendous to watch (which I fully agree with) and that ManYoo play attractive football. And thus the argument goes, we pay to watch football to be entertained and we should be rooting for the entertainers to win. Now whilst I certainly won't be supporting Chelsea (see reasons above) there's a question that pops into my head.

Can anyone tell me when we started going to watch football to be entertained? Did this happen around the same time that Sky was brought in? Now correct me if I'm wrong but don't we go to watch football to cheer on our team? To support them through thick and thin? If you were to ask a random sample of fans from the 70's what they go to watch football for, I'm pretty sure that entertainment would be a fairly uncommon answer, most likely behind loyalty, love for the club and fighting.

Watching football for entertainment purposes alone seems like the refuge of the glory hunter i.e. if your team isn't playing well you don't support them. I thought this was something that we are all against?

Now don't get me wrong I don't want Chelsea to win, as I hate them and hope that they disappear from the football map as quickly as they appeared (yes guys you were going nowhere and were a nothing club before the Rich Russian came in) adn I also hate ManYoo with a passion. I just think there may have been a shift in people's reasons for watching football and was curious as to whether anyone else has noticed it?

Tadge Channer, LFC

From the football365 mailbox.

Just wondered what everyone's opinion is on the authors main point here, as I am in full agreement with him, but it appears that the new generation of football fan is the "glory hunter" who wishes to be entertained.

Yeah i agree with this to an extent. Football is not sports entertainment like Wrestling as entertainment is something that is staged.

We are blessed that due to football being the best game in the world we can be hugely entertained but some games can equally be dire.

As a neutral we all want the big cup finals to be 4-3 wins and we all want to see our team play great football but its never always going to be that.

but back in the day you supported team primarily vocally, now they want all your money as well. when that happens its natural to start wanting something in return. if you're treated like a customer, you expect to be treated like one, if you know what i mean.

but back in the day you supported team primarily vocally, now they want all your money as well. when that happens its natural to start wanting something in return. if you're treated like a customer, you expect to be treated like one, if you know what i mean.

I suppose to an extent you have a point mate. However that is not my perception of things and that was the reason for posting this.

Seems more and more football "fans" want to turn up 10 mins in, be entertained til 35 mins. Leave to get a pie etc. Come back after the second hald has kicked off for some more entertainment and then be in the pub before the score is even decided.

Personally I have a lot more emotion invested in my football club. Good and bad results affect the rest of your day, at least. Results are paramount, entertainment is a distant second.