Future strategy speculation

1 minute ago, der Berliner said:

Well, the transfer window closes in 9 weeks time. Methinks that Solanke deal will (if at all) go through late in the window. We hardly know whom we are really interested in and a couple of Katic and Flanagan style deals may already be in the making.

As I remarked above, I would hope that we change tactics, formations and players with the task at hand. Not radical, but noteable. Aberdeen will be studied and we will sure look at their main threats. Taking them out of the game will remove their thread considerably, as we have seen before. I took your line-up to be a more general one, rather than for that specific game though.

IIRC there has been speculation on a 4-3-3 and a 3-4-3 given what SG did at his Liverpool under 18s job.

I was just thinking that if we were to go two up top, we'd need four in the squad.

We currently have Morelos and Hardie with the former not certain to be with us come September.

Some clues that it's not going to be a straight 'plan A' for every game in comments by Gerrard talking about Jon Flanagan in this article.  Gerrard on Flanagan

Gerrard said: “If you look at our two attacking full backs they are very good at what they do but in certain games we’ll need to go a different way.

“We can’t just attack and go gung-ho against every single team. Sometimes we’ll need to stiffen it up and go a bit safer and Jon gives us that option.

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Some clues that it's not going to be a straight 'plan A' for every game in comments by Gerrard talking about Jon Flanagan in this article.  Gerrard on Flanagan

What he did say in a short interview clip last week was that the emphasis will be on attack (not surprising given make-up of our league and our place in that) and with SG coming from a fit, high-tempo press Liverpool....I think that will be the general approach.

I think the first leg of the Euro qualifier at Ibrox will probably be an example of that and dependent of that result, the second leg may see what we'll call a 'plan B'.

Domestically, it'll be interesting to see how we approach the first game up in Aberdeen.

Did Gerrard actually implement a high-press at Liverpool U18? 

I ask because I keep seeing it stated, with the implication that we'll be going down a Klopp's Liverpool route -- which is actually gegenpressing, not high press. He didn't play under Klopp, and I don't know the relationship when he was U18 manager, and whether he learned anything from Klopp. I know they spoke often.  

18 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Did Gerrard actually implement a high-press at Liverpool U18? 

I ask because I keep seeing it stated, with the implication that we'll be going down a Klopp's Liverpool route -- which is actually gegenpressing, not high press. He didn't play under Klopp, and I don't know the relationship when he was U18 manager, and whether he learned anything from Klopp. I know they spoke often.  

You are taking this to a place where you are losing me.....

"gegenpressing"...:shock:

I'll look forward to seeing what comes and leave it to the tactical students as to the science.

:D

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

You are taking this to a place where you are losing me.....

"gegenpressing"...:shock:

I'll look forward to seeing what comes and leave it to the tactical students as to the science.

:D

7 minutes ago, colinstein said:

so other teams will stress the early ball out from defence. First time chip over the head of advancing pressers to the players they've left unmarked

In theory that ball has less chance of working, if the passing lanes are cut and you have more players swarming around putting the guy under pressure. Guardiola wanted teams to play the long ball so his team could get the ball back ASAP. 

Like anything, it needs to be executed correctly. 

However, you don't 'gegenpress' out of defence -- gegenpress is when you just lose the ball; you swarm, cut the passing lanes of the player that recovers the ball. It happens anywhere, preferably near the opponents goal! :D