Derek Johnstone: Rangers' best squad for a DECADE

DJ has obviously been accused of running Rangers down in the past. He is certainly over-compensating for that now!

Truth is though, more punters are backing Rangers simply because the other mob are such short odds they are unbackable. Of course, if we do win this title then DJ will have been proved right. But we had a real good squad in 2011. Davis, Naismith, McGregor, Wallace, Edu, Jelavic, Lafferty could have dominated Scottish football for a decade. It was a tragedy that we lost those guys, in footballing terms, as well as a crime.

People might jump down my throat here, but I think DJ used the word 'decade' because it feels like one since administration. There is no way that the current squad is better than the one Walter handed over to Ally, at least on paper. Even Derek knows that. If they can surpass the 2010-11 squad's achievements on the pitch (granted, a big ask) then the statement might not read back as badly as it semantically sounds.

As the year turns during the season, it won't be a kick in the proverbial off a decade anyway.

Who knows? Maybe he has said 'the best part of a decade' during the chat and it has been edited?

All told, I reckon DJ is like any one of us, in that he is genuinely enthused about the players that were are trying to capture. I also reckon that the level of trust being afforded to Stevie and Gary by the support to get it right first time far exceeds that of Caixinha and Warburton before him.

We all hope that they can collectively do the business and I think that they will in a positive fashion to the extent that I think that silverware of some sort will definitely be delivered this coming season.

Being a glass half-full realist, I allowing myself to bask in the summer dream that 55 will be secured in short order though.

Forza Gers.