How's the Squad Shaping Up?

On 09/08/2018 at 11:36, DMAA said:

Celtic's defence has been lambasted yet again by their fans after last night. I think for the first time in a long time a number of our starting 11 would get into theirs. The only problem is that it's all in the same position!

Just my opinion but it looks to me that almost our back 5 is better than theirs, I think Barisic will be fantastic but you'd have to give Tierney the nod. I think Jack can be better than Brown from now on. But the rest of the attacking positions go to Celtic, and it's not even close. They are still head and shoulders above us in all those positions and our guys would seriously struggle to make their bench. I think this is a worry and we need to address it before the window closes, otherwise we could have another season of frustrating home games where we lack the quality and creativity to break teams down.           

McGregor

Tavernier      Katic     Goldson       Barisic

Jack      Coulibaly/Arfield

Candeias/Windass    Arfield/Dorrans       Murphy/Kent

Morelos/Sadiq

Gordon

Lustig            Ajer      Hendry           Tierney

Brown     Ntcham

Forrest/Hayes/Christie    Rogic/Arzani/Allan   McGregor/Sinclair   

Griffiths/Dembele/Edouard 

Look at the cover they have, though?

I'm bemused at the way we're always so eager to get players off the wage bill if they are not first-choice. You need options. 

We've got a decent first-team, but we need more cover. 

10 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I'm bemused at the way we're always so eager to get players off the wage bill if they are not first-choice. You need options. 

just imagine our squad after four transfers windows with Gerrard and Allan 

7 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I don’t agree with that actually. Celtic have had 4/5 times our income for 6/7 years straight. Even in our second season in the top level that was the case. So of course they have much more strength in depth and a much larger wage bill. By far the best strategy to for us to win the league is to focus on getting the starting 11 as strong as possible. It’s quality vs quantity, you can’t have it both ways. 

40 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I don’t agree with that actually. Celtic have had 4/5 times our income for 6/7 years straight. Even in our second season in the top level that was the case. So of course they have much more strength in depth and a much larger wage bill. By far the best strategy to for us to win the league is to focus on getting the starting 11 as strong as possible. It’s quality vs quantity, you can’t have it both ways. 

We can't win the league by just having a strong first XI. Even a small injury and we're screwed. 

Having cover doesn't mean having the 3/4 options they have, it just means having a couple of options for each position.

My point was that we seem to be almost pushing players out the door of they're not first pick. We signed Barisic and people were saying Wallace, John and Tavernier were out the door (John was, in this case). It was Flanagan and Barisic as first picks, and the rest could go. I'm exaggerating, but that's how it feels, at least to me. 

32 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

We can't win the league by just having a strong first XI. Even a small injury and we're screwed. 

Having cover doesn't mean having the 3/4 options they have, it just means having a couple of options for each position.

My point was that we seem to be almost pushing players out the door of they're not first pick. We signed Barisic and people were saying Wallace, John and Tavernier were out the door (John was, in this case). It was Flanagan and Barisic as first picks, and the rest could go. I'm exaggerating, but that's how it feels, at least to me. 

It’s tough to get it right. I would still like to see about 4 senior players out and about 2 in. 

Ceptic have a big squad, but as the weekend showed it doesn't mean they are all world beaters.

What is important is have a good TEAM.  As we've seen (all be it mainly in friendlies), we are developing a team that can be interchanged without impacting the style & quality of play too much.  A possibly problem with Ceptic is that they have individuals playing more for themselves, than the greater good of the team.