[FT] Rangers 2 - 0 Aberdeen (Tavernier 48 pen, 80 pen)

One of the best perks of being part of the Blue Order over the years was bringing out the huge 'Silence of the Sheep' banner every time we beat them at Ibrox.  Sure, it was rather crude and small children may have been offended and cried, but Aberdeen's awful record over the years in Glasgow meant it was good sport and a well deserved message.  Unfortunately, this season at least, it's us that have been silenced and the bragging rights are currently the prerogative of our chums in the North East.

Aside from an impressive 4-2 reverse in Aberdeen, in the six games we've already played against the Dons this season, that has been our only victory.  Yes, we've dominated possession and territory in most of the other matches as well but the men in red have won three times; all in Glasgow and twice at Ibrox.  Suffice to say, Sunday's match won't be any cake-walk and, no matter the result, TBO won't be flying any banners of long-lost hubris.

Worse for the Rangers support are today's media reports that both captain James Tavernier and striker Jermain Defoe are struggling to make the game.  The latter was pictures training this morning so should feature but the loss of our skipper would be a blow, more so should the injury be a longer term one.  We do have options to replace him - Matt Polster may be the preferred one after making a short cameo in the role last weekend - but those Rangers fans that bemoan Tav's captaincy and contribution may find themselves eating their words should we struggle creatively on Sunday afternoon.

The good news for the support is that we've shown of late we can cope with adversity.  The loss of Morelos and Kent to suspension worried all but the most optimistic of bears but the change in personnel and system to address that has worked well with three straight wins.  And convincing ones at that.  Kent is available again for Sunday but it says a lot for our current form that he may have to settle for a place on the bench.  Morelos isn't back until next Sunday but, should Defoe remain fit and still scoring goals, then the Colombian too could rue his recent indiscipline. 

Injury and suspension aside, the rest of the Rangers team should pick itself.  The defence have looked solid enough with Niko Katic proving himself very useful when we're facing physical strikers.  After dealing well with Curtis Main and Uche Ikpeazu in the last two games, the Croatian centre half will relish another aerial battle with the impressive Sam Cosgrove.  Meanwhile, in midfield, the likes of Ryan Jack, Glen Kamara and Steven Davis have all stepped up recently so should retain their place this week too.  Indeed, the battling qualities of the Aberdeen midfield will mean they'll have to be on the top of their game once more.

Our prize for three points is a clear one: at least second place in this year's Ladbrokes Premiership with Aberdeen left to battle it out with Killie and Hibs for third, fourth and fifth.  A draw wouldn't be the end of the world either leaving us eight points in front of Aberdeen with just three games left.  A loss brings Aberdeen right back into the reckoning and would guarantee is nothing ahead of our remaining matches.  Given recent bickering between the managers in the media, it seems any bragging isn't just between the fans now either so both Gerrard and McInnes have put themselves under pressure.  Yes, Aberdeen may well offer more against us than other teams but that's no excuse when it comes to our poor results and performances against them.  That has to change and there's no time like the present.

Possible team (4-3-2-1):

rfc_aberdeen_b.jpg

The preview is still to be posted and that will probably concentrate on us, so a wee bit about the opposition.

As far as recent months go, Aberdeen have been way more effective playing away from home than at Pittodrie.

Gaffer has predicted his customary 5-0 win for us on Saturday but I had a glance at their away record and they've conceded 5 goals in their last 10 away league fixtures, including two clean sheets at Ibrox and the Brendanbeuless (that doesn't include the other clean sheet in the Cup-tie at Ibrox).

Wed 05/12/18 PRE Rangers 0 - 1 Aberdeen View events More info
Sat 15/12/18 PRE St. Mirren 1 - 2 Aberdeen View events More info
Sat 29/12/18 PRE Livingston 1 - 2 Aberdeen View events More info
Wed 23/01/19 PRE Hamilton Acade… 0 - 3 Aberdeen View events More info
Sat 02/02/19 PRE Hibernian 1 - 2 Aberdeen View events More info
Sat 23/02/19 PRE St. Johnstone 0 - 2 Aberdeen View events More info
Sat 09/03/19 PRE Celtic 0 - 0 Aberdeen   More info
Sat 30/03/19 PRE Hearts 2 - 1 Aberdeen View events More info
Sat 06/04/19 PRE Dundee 0 - 2 Aberdeen View events More info
Sat 20/04/19 PRE Kilmarnock 0 - 1 Aberdeen  

I watched part of their first half against Kilmarnock last week and it was brutal. Next to no football, lot's of fouls and the ball hardly hit the plastic pitch....but Aberdeen (with a numerical advantage) were more comfortable with that type of game and predictably, a set-piece provided them with a winner.

What we'll get tomorrow is more of the same.

Last-time at Ibrox they received EIGHT yellow cards as they took turns at kicking us. I think SG would be well advised to highlight this prior to the game and start to put some pressure on the referee (D.Robertson) to do his job. 

SG&Co know exactly what is coming so I hope he has something different in mind to what has been tried before.

Obviously the absence of Morelos tends to force his hand to a degree but it's still a big challenge to get it right.

Can only hope the doubts, Tav and Defoe make it because their absence would be significant.

They'll probably be missing a couple of important players (Shinnie and McGinn), which would help.

The good results in the last couple of weeks need to be built upon with a solid home run against Aberdeen, Hibs and Celtic.

So far this season we've played those three teams 12 times and won only 2 matches.

We now have an opportunity to improve those numbers with three victories and help cement the recent good vibe that the new approach has brought.

Two things at stake here. First we need to turn consistent superiority into a comfortable win and we all know what the sheep are going to do. They’re going to park the bus and take turns collecting cards as they try to kick us out of it.

Aside from the fact we need to give them a long overdue sound beating a win settles a minimum second place finish. I want that settled leaving scope to work experimentation in the final games.

Surely their luck can’t continue and in fact I actually saw one of their own fans express that same opinion on the largest sheep forum. Ideally we get a couple of early goals and that kills their entire game plan.

20 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Two things at stake here. First we need to turn consistent superiority into a comfortable win and we all know what the sheep are going to do. They’re going to park the bus and take turns collecting cards as they try to kick us out of it.

Aside from the fact we need to give them a long overdue sound beating a win settles a minimum second place finish. I want that settled leaving scope to work experimentation in the final games.

Surely their luck can’t continue and in fact I actually saw one of their own fans express that same opinion on the largest sheep forum. Ideally we get a couple of early goals and that kills their entire game plan.

Very much so.....but we don't want to go overboard and let them in to score an early goal, as has happened in their two previous visits (McKenna 7 mins and McGinn 3 mins).

I can't remember a season with so many early goals (mostly for us)........(my memory isn't that good so I stand to be corrected).

It's strange but I think we're a better team without our best player. Hopefully Morelos' absence is more of a help than a hindrance today.

Three home games against the sheep without a win would be rather embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's strange but I think we're a better team without our best player. Hopefully Morelos' absence is more of a help than a hindrance today.

Three home games against the sheep without a win would be rather embarrassing. 

The absence of Morelos has been a feature of games against Aberdeen, even when in the starting line-up.

I hope Defoe makes it today because it should give us a better idea as to the comparison you mention.

The obvious thing after 180 minutes without a goal at Ibrox against Aberdeen, is that we have to do something different.

I hope SG would have been for a change in our approach, whether Morelos was available or not.

It's probably more a test of the management team today than the players.

It's going to be a test for us all.  Gerrard needs to push the players to create chances, they have to keep their heads up and keep trying and we, as a support, need to stay behind them.

I'm taking the wee man today.  Hopefully it's a good atmosphere and we turn that lot over.?