Compensate the victims of Boys Club sex abuse, MSP tells Celtic

Celtic FC must compensate the victims of paedophiles who used their positions at Celtic Boys Club to prey on children, an SNP MSP whose son played for both teams has said.

James Dornan has written to Peter Lawwell, Celtic’s chief executive, asking for answers on how he intends to respond to the scandal.

Mr Dornan, who represents Glasgow Cathcart, said that he felt obliged to speak out because his son had played for Celtic Boys Club and the Celtic senior team in the 1980s.

“My son played for both the boys’ club and Celtic and there is no doubt at all in my mind that they are connected, he said. “I saw it first hand. They may not have been connected legally, but they were closely linked.

“These boys, now adults, had a desire to play for Celtic; that’s why they joined the boys club. The clubs owes these people some sort of recognition for what they went through.”

Mr Dornan believes that Celtic should follow the example set by Manchester City by apologising and offering compensation to victims who were sexually abused while in youth teams affiliated to the club.

He said: “This is a club that prides itself on doing the right thing. They must surely see that these individuals that played for Celtic Boys Club are part of the wider Celtic family.

“They should do what Manchester City did and make some money available to them, but more than that, they should make these people feel like they belong again.”

Steve Dornan, who was on Celtic’s books between 1988 and 1989, was not abused, but remains friends with individuals who were.

“I have written to ask what Celtic FC intend to do to support the victims of the Celtic Boys Clubs abuse scandal,” his father said. “I am expecting a response of some kind by the end of the week. If I don’t get that I’ll be releasing the letter I sent to him.”

The MSP spoke out after Jim McCafferty, 73, a former Celtic kitman and a Celtic Boys Club coach was jailed for six years and nine months last week after being convicted of molesting boys over a 24-year period. The prison sentence is the third to be handed down to former Celtic Boys Club staff after Jim Torbett, 71, its founder, and Frank Cairney, an 83-year-old former coach, were both jailed for sexually abusing young footballers. Some of the abuse took place in the dressing room at Celtic Park.

Gerald King, 66, former chairman of the boys’ club, was convicted of abusing four boys and a girl while he was employed as a primary school teacher, but was not jailed.

Celtic has expressed sympathy for the victims but has insisted that the Boys Club is a separate organisation and not its responsibility.

Thompsons Solicitors, which is representing abuse survivors, joined calls for Celtic to accept responsibility.

Patrick McGuire, a partner with the firm, said: “My message to Celtic’s board of directors as individuals and to Mr Lawwell is ‘stop hiding behind lawyers, legal niceties and legal escape routes’. You are an extremely affluent club, you have the means, you have the ability, and you have the moral compulsion to do the right thing and set up a compensation scheme.”

Celtic FC did not respond to a request for comment.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/compensate-the-victims-of-boys-club-sex-abuse-msp-tells-celtic-9236gr62k

I read an article in this morning's Times, where the Journo, Marc Horne is moving the story to a cross border investigation into child sex abuse in football. The names mentioned are Barry Bennell(Man' City) and Jim McCafferty(Celtic). Jim Torbett(Celtic) is also involved. The organisation is referred to as, 'a Paedophile Ring' and for a two decade period, it moved young boys from tournament to tournament in both North West England and South West Scotland, this allowed access to those out with each area.

The story is beginning to pick up pace.

4 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I read an article in this morning's Times, where the Journo, Marc Horne is moving the story to a cross border investigation into child sex abuse in football. The names mentioned are Barry Bennell(Man' City) and Jim McCafferty(Celtic). Jim Torbett(Celtic) is also involved. The organisation is referred to as, 'a Paedophile Ring' and for a two decade period, it moved young boys from tournament to tournament in both North West England and South West Scotland, this allowed access to those out with each area.

The story is beginning to pick up pace.

https://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/ipboard/topic/39782-celtic-boys-club-cross-border-investigation-into-football-sex-abusers/

Yes, it's a fairly damning article. It's unfortunately only in the Scotland section of The Times, so many readers outside of Scotland may not read it.

9 hours ago, Bluedell said:

https://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/ipboard/topic/39782-celtic-boys-club-cross-border-investigation-into-football-sex-abusers/

Yes, it's a fairly damning article. It's unfortunately only in the Scotland section of The Times, so many readers outside of Scotland may not read it.

There’s a solution to that ?