Modern Fitba: Which Playmakers Actually Make Their Teammates Better?

Another great article from these guys packed with stats. It gets a bit complicated but this image sums up the findings. Key takeaway is that Arfield’s key passes leads to more shots on target than anyone else in the league (suggesting his passes are good quality and create a real shooting opportunity), and Candeias comes second for key passes that lead to goals (same as above, arguably indicative of the number of the highest quality of pass).

A few other Rangers names there; Tav, Morelos, Barisic. Not going to lie I’m a wee bit smug that the stats agree with me again on Kent, he just doesn’t put chances on a plate and that’s why his assists stats were so low. 

The Candeias fans vindicated a bit by these numbers, we need someone to step up from the new signings. I would expect Defoe to show up too if he keeps his place. 

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2019/7/22/which-playmakers-actually-make-their-teammates-better-the-2018-19-update

spacer.png

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

I want to cry. 

Unlike Kent, Candeias’s assist reel is excellent. He really did provide some top quality assists. Have to admit I feel we needed to improve on both though. 

These statistics mean nothing as it is a pinprick in a football game. If you take Kamara. He does 90% brilliant things but then makes the mistake that gets you gubbed. His stats look great but he lost a number of points and that is what the game is about.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Kamara lost us a number of points?  

Yes he has been caught with the ball in a good few games that led to a goal. Against Aberdeen probably his biggest.

49 minutes ago, pete said:

These statistics mean nothing

Simply not true, and virtually no football club believes that, certainly not Rangers. Stats are just facts. The facts need interpreted but to say the facts don’t matter is foolish. And to say they can’t be interpreted in a way which properly accounts for the pitfalls and caveats is not true either and that’s why all top clubs invest money in this area. 

Edited by DMAA

lets just say it is not a thing i deem important as a football fan. I don't want Robots on the park and stats making players frightened to play football because it might upset their stats. George Best, Johan Cruijff or Maradonna didn't need stats.

13 minutes ago, pete said:

lets just say it is not a thing i deem important as a football fan. I don't want Robots on the park and stats making players frightened to play football because it might upset their stats. George Best, Johan Cruijff or Maradonna didn't need stats.

I understand the skepticism, but that needn’t be the case.  For example if you want your passing accuracy to be high you’ll play safe passes, but the “stats” will show that you’ve only achieved a high pass completion because you’ve barely passed the ball forwards for the whole game, itself a negative stat. In short, the stats are so advanced that there is no way to manipulate them other than to just focus on playing well. 

Nobody relies purely on stats but they are a very powerful tool to be used to analyse performance. 

Edited by DMAA