Hearts increase prices for fans of Hibs and the Old Firm

Is the charging �£50 idea a non-starter. I seem to remember before Dunfermline or some equally pishy team ripping off the OF, but they can get round it as long as they are charging their fans the same extortionate price for seats in the same stand. Something like that anyway, maybe someone else remembers the details of the story I mean?

Hibernian fans could boycott their opening day fixture against Hearts at Tynecastle in a row over ticket prices.

Hearts have imposed a 30% rise in areas of the away section for games against Hibs, Celtic and Rangers.

Mike Riley, chairman of the southern branch of the Hibs Supporters' Club, said he backed an organised protest.

"Nobody wants to boycott a game, especially at Tynecastle where we like to beat the Hearts, but I don't think we've got any choice," he said.

Interview: Hibs Supporters Club Chairman Mike Riley

Riley told BBC Scotland: "I'm in favour of a boycott, without a doubt whatsoever and I would think that mostly everybody would be the same."

Adult followers of Celtic, Rangers and Hibs will pay a top price of �£33 to watch their team play at Tynecastle in the 2007-08 campaign, a rise of �£8 on the prices they were charged for the best seats in the Roseburn Stand last season.

The cheapest priced tickets are �£27, an increase of �£7 on last season.

I'll be saying to all the branches and my members as well that we should seriously consider boycotting the game

Hibs Supporters' Club chairman Mike Riley

Since Scottish Premier League rules state that clubs cannot charge visiting fans higher admission prices than those applied to their own supporters, Hearts fans will pay the same prices in comparable parts of the stadium

Visiting supporters of other Clydesdale Bank Premier League clubs will pay �£22 and �£17 for games at Tynecastle.

And Riley said Hibs supporters clubs are planning to call a meeting later this week to discuss what action to take.

He said: "If we don't stop at the �£33 now where will it be next season?

"We've got to take a stance somewhere.

"I'll be saying to all the branches and my members as well that we should seriously consider boycotting the game."

Hearts, who have already angered the Old Firm by reducing the size of their ticket allocation for SPL matches at Tynecastle, claim the new prices are a fair reflection of the commercial value of what they brand as Category A matches.

They are also within their rights to impose the increases under SPL regulations which leave ticket prices to the discretion of the home clubs.

To fleece visiting supporters in this manner is just outrageous

Secretary of the Rangers Supporters' Association

John McMillan

But John McMillan, secretary of the Rangers Supporters' Association, told the Scotsman: "It is a disgraceful increase by Hearts.

"To fleece visiting supporters in this manner is just outrageous.

"You have to ask yourself if �£33 is value for money in the SPL and most people would say it is certainly not."

However, McMillan said despite the ticket increases Rangers fans were unlikely to boycott games at Tynecastle.

"The diehards want to be at every match their team plays, so they will be there."

Peter Rafferty, president of the Affiliation of Celtic Supporters' Clubs, also believed the prices would not result in fewer Celtic fans going to the games.

He said: "It is a substantial hike by Hearts and it is a lot of money for many supporters, but I don't doubt the Celtic section of the ground at Tynecastle will be full."

Rangers and Celtic saying we won't boycott these games give Hearts an open hand.

Is the charging �£50 idea a non-starter. I seem to remember before Dunfermline or some equally pishy team ripping off the OF, but they can get round it as long as they are charging their fans the same extortionate price for seats in the same stand. Something like that anyway, maybe someone else remembers the details of the story I mean?

Depends on the most expensive seat, you cant charge away fans a more expensive price than you charge home fans at any part of the ground.

Dunfermline made our away support pay the same as there main stand last season.

We should charge Hearts 200 quid for Ibrox and say this in line with what the executive boxes are paying to watch the same game :devil:

But someone has to take a stand somewhere, these clubs will raise the prices as they know Rangers and Celtic will still turn up. Its going to keep increasing every year. IMO the club should say no thanks to tickets for one game - that way the other team will get the message and we will hurt there wallets yet we are only missing ONE game against a poor team, there will be many more, plus we could get the game on the screens at Ibrox for a fiver.