More Bad News On The 'Transfer' Front

Osasuna star Javad Nekounam claims he has turned down the chance to join Rangers in order to continue his development in Spain.

The Iranian international attracted a bid from Walter Smith's side - understood to be in the region of ââ??¬1.5million (Ã?£1million) - after being named Osasuna's player of the season by fans of the Pamplona-based club.

However, the midfielder admits he has little desire to move to the SPL after a tremendous debut season in Spain, and will snub the long-term interest from Glasgow.

"Now I am not interested in Scotland," Nekounam told Diario de Noticias. "La Liga is spectacular and after my experience in the last campaign it would be madness to leave Osasuna.

"This is not the first time that the Scottish club have contacted me.

"Rangers wanted me during my time at Pas Tehran but finally a deal was impossible due to a question of money.

"In that time I had accepted to go to Scotland. Really British football is strong but now I prefer the technique and control of the ball in Spain.

"Osasuna presented the Rangers option to me. That was personal praise and demonstrated that my work in Spain is positive."

Nekounam is contracted to Osasuna until 2008 and his release clause is set at ââ??¬5million (Ã?£3.4million).