14 minutes ago, Ted McMinnime said:

Was he there to keep a watchful eye on the picnic hamper 26th? Foie Gras washed down with a nice glass of Chablis at half time?

I was very surprised his butler was assigned such duties, in my experience contact with the constabulary was always a footmans responsibility. 

On 17/08/2020 at 10:29, 26th of foot said:

The English club faced most often by Rangers is Everton.

Reference Chelsea, I attended the first three friendlies, all Rangers victories. The first was a 0-1 win at Stamford Bridge, a thirty yard screamer by Jardine in a '71 testimonial. The second and third games were weeks apart in the mid-eighties, home and away. I suspect they were arranged because both clubs were out of Europe. Rangers won both 3-2, Chelsea's Micky Hazzard was the stand out player in both matches. Interestingly, the game at Ibrox had a twenty minute hiatus because of floodlight failure.

I have also witnessed a dozen friendlies against both Arsenal and Spurs; however, the only game where I saw real bad blood was a match at Loftus Road circa 1968. The game ended 2-2 with punches and kicks being regularly exchanged between players. It culminated with Rodney Marsh booting Kai Johansen in the face. The action in Acton was keen that evening as ten thousand Bears righted perceived wrongs. My old man booked a hotel in Kensington, it was our Butler who reported the violence.

That match at Loftus Road: you sure it wasn't 1969 when we drew 3-3? I remember it well because it was Slim Jim's 'comeback' match.

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

That match at Loftus Road: you sure it wasn't 1969 when we drew 3-3? I remember it well because it was Slim Jim's 'comeback' match.

Yes, I would say so, here's 26s programme from the day, suspect he tasked the downstairs maid with recording the score on the front, in anticipation of the Veuve Clicquot befuddling his recollections. 

20200819_135448.jpg

2 hours ago, gaspard said:

Yes, I would say so, here's 26s programme from the day, suspect he tasked the downstairs maid with recording the score on the front, in anticipation of the Veuve Clicquot befuddling his recollections. 

20200819_135448.jpg

I remember we were singing, "All we are saying...is Give Jim a chance." I still have that programme too.

Au contraire mes amis,

The family Butler accompanied Pater and I to London because Pa decided upon Mater's motor, a fire engine red Morris Traveler. The cedar wood needed a linseed oil refreshment. It was while perambulating to the Junior Ganymede that bampottery and bawbaggery was afoot, chibbery livened the air. 

I bow to 1969, over half a century leads to temporary fog. The song I remember was, 'singing Kai aye yippee, yippee aye, Jock Steins a fcuking hippee'.

I have never been a fan of foie gras, more salt of the earth in my preference for rillettes. I would consider a chablis accompaniment with goose based pate a crime, buttery burgundy should be reserved for crab/lobster, and the occasional ash covered cheese. Burgundy Pinot Noir is the thing for fowl liver produce.

Of course, the very thing for all trencherman tit bits, is the sparkling perry, Babycham.