Gers Youth Team Triumph In Europe

Gers Triumph In Holland

RANGERS' new-look under-19s finished their pre-season preparations by winning the prestigious Aves Andalucia Tournament in Holland on Sunday.

Billy Kirkwood's young side travelled to Germany on Wednesday and spent two days in Bocholt before moving on to Doetinchem in the Netherlands to compete against some of Europe's biggest teams.

The Light Blues started the tournament in fine style with a 3-1 Group B victory over Vitesse Arnhem on Friday.

Recent signing Georgios Efrem was on the scoresheet in the club's opening fixture along with John Fleck who netted a double.

The following day brought with it another win and Fleck and Chris Craig were to find the net in a impressive 2-0 victory over FC Twente.

A Nicholas Gallacher strike earned a 1-1 draw in their third group match against Hertha BSC and this was enough to secure a place in the final against AZ Alkmaar on Sunday.

AZ, who had topped a group consisting of Anderlecht, Bolton Wanderers and Hamburg SV, proved to be tough opponents but after a goalless draw the Gers' young guns held their nerves to lift the trophy after a tense penalty shoot-out.

Rangers under-19s in Holland

It was the perfect way to end the five-day trip for Kirkwood and the coach was delighted with his player's desire and will to win.

He said: "All the boys worked really hard throughout the trip and the way they performed in the tournament was first class.

"We had to play four games in the space of three days against very good teams so to come out on top was terrific and credit must be given to them all.

"It was great to see them win another trophy and they thoroughly deserved it."

The 19s will start their 2007/08 league campaign against Falkirk on Saturday and Billy believes that his team will be in confident mood after their tournament win.

He said: "I think all the players will get a big lift from that as it was a very good tournament to be involved in.

"It gave us the chance to come up against European opposition and the teams we came up against were all excellent in possession.

"But we handled that very well and will go into this weekend's league opener against Falkirk with a lot of confidence."

The 19s first league game of the season against Falkirk this Saturday will be played at Murray Park, kick-off 11am.

Good to see the youths are continuing on the winning track

I posted this earlier and it got deleted.. wanted to know why?

i'm not sure beattie. i didnt do it - perhaps the two were posted at the same time? i tend to just delete one when two appear at roughly the same time. i imagine someone's done the same.