The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Mainly as US sports are so protracted affairs, they have to make up numbers to keep folks interested.

Stats work for certain parts of football, but they ain't the be all, not at all. Ryan Kent gets it tight for his stats, but I'd bet my last shillin that Neil McCann or Davie Cooper wouldn't have had any better.

First leg of the City v Real semi final was a perfect case in point, Jack Grealish never beat his man once*, but according to the stats was the most creative player on the park. This is basically as he rolled the ball back to someone to have a shot, as he couldn't make any progress.

*FWIW he was very good in last nights game.

Kent would probably have super-cool stats in this MLS thing. As for Cooper and McCann ... they were wingers in a 4-4-2 and asked to deliver flanks, crosses, corner kicks and wicked free-kicks. The thing with Kent (or anyone else not a playing central striker) in a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, or however they are lined up nowadays is: they need to provide assists and goals constantly and against anyone. If they don't, they don't fit that role any longer. No-one ever questioned Kent's work-rate and effort, only that the end product was failing him far too often. We never addressed this properly, or changed our line up against brick-wall side with even more defenders lined up against our score-shy "attackers".

2 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Pretty sure Kris 'less goals against sellik than Sakala' Boyd played for Portland Timbers?.

Yup, Steven Smith played for them too

A quick google had Boyd at 27 games 7 goals...

1 hour ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I've no distaste for the states tbh, I just find your sports a tad contrived, you do get that don't you? you don't have to dislike everything about a country? I've had some great trips to a few different parts of the US, loved it.

Everything is contrived from something. Everything is a particle of some thing(s). There is no independent origination. People were kicking around goat's bladders for thousands of years before some English guy decided to codify it. 

People were also picking that goat bladder up, running with it, smacking it with long mallets on horseback and throwing it through a hoop.

What about the rest of the Anglosphere? The Aussies, and the Canucks? Do you find their sports contrived as well?

Me thinks not. 

8 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

People were kicking around goat's bladders for thousands of years before some English guy decided to codify it

It was actually believed to balls of silk, in what is now China.

Actually yes, there's a lot of sports I find to be a bit nonsense, F1, Golf (I live a mile from the home of open golf, but still) rugby league.... To name but a few. Aussie rules is brilliant for it's sheer madness, it has a kinda chaos that no US sports have (I've always had Ice Hockey down as Canadian, happy to be corrected on that one).

Crikey, that mattress advert disnae half make ye cringe!

Edited by Devil's advocaat

1 minute ago, Devil's advocaat said:

It was actually believed to balls of silk, in what is now China.

Actually yes, there's a lot of sports I find to be a bit nonsense, F1, Golf (I live a mile from the home of open golf, but still) rugby league.... To name but a few. Aussie rules is brilliant for it's sheer madness, it has a kinda chaos that no US sports have (I've always had Ice Hockey down as Canadian, happy to be corrected on that one).

Well, at least you're fair. 

Good chat. 

Thank you, DA.