Souness not returning to Rangers

Graeme Souness TURNS DOWN Rangers offer following emotional exit from Sky Sports

Tony Robertson

Published: 18:50, 15 Jul 2023

Updated: 21:29, 15 Jul 2023

GRAEME SOUNESS has turned down a sentimental return to Ibrox.

The former Rangers player and boss was asked to take on an ambassadorial role by the Glasgow giants in talks that have lasted for weeks.

Graeme Souness has turned down an ambassadorial role at RangersCredit: Getty

Souness left Sky Sports after 15 yearsCredit: Getty

However, Souness, 70, has pulled the plug on the move.

Souey, no longer a TV pundit on Sky Sports, did not believes he would be able to help the Light Blues.

During his time at Rangers as a player and manager he helped the club win three Scottish league titles and four Scottish League Cup trophies.

He announced in April that he would be leaving his role as a pundit at Sky after 15 years. 

In his emotional announcement, he fought backs tears as he said: "I’m going to miss you guys, the guys behind the scenes, our makeup girl, I’ll miss you all.

"You know, for me, I decided that football management wasn’t for me anymore. I had the wrong temperament for it, the wrong personality.

"And then I was given the opportunity to do this and it’s been magnificent. It’s just been the most fantastic time for me, because I lovefootball, I care about football and I worry about it going forward.

"But in Sky’s hands, it’s in good hands, safe hands, and I think over the years we’ve created a Premier League with great detail and I think we look after football very well.