Steven Gerrard reunites with Mark Allen at Al-Ettifaq

Steven Gerrard reunites with Rangers colleague at Al-Ettifaq

By Mark Walker4 hrs ago
Steven Gerrard (Image: Getty)

Allen spent two years at Ibrox from 2017 and was credited as being largely responsible for persuading Gerrard to join Rangers, before leaving and joining Swansea City in the same role, where he was sacked after just eight months with the Welsh club.

And he's set to join up with Gerrard again in Saudi after the club's 'football technical committee' and Gerrard approved the hiring of Allen, who also previously worked at Manchester City.

Allen will reportedly be involved with recruiting and developing players for the ambitious club.

When he left Rangers in September 2019 for 'family reasons', Allen said: "Bringing Steven Gerrard to the club will always be a special point in my career and I would like to thank him, his excellent staff, the players and all the staff at Rangers for their support throughout my tenure."

And Gerrard added: "I would like to place on record my sincere gratitude to Mark for the incredible support he has shown to me and all of my staff since I came to the club 16 months ago. Mark’s success here is evident for all to see."

Now the pair will be reunited in the Gulf.

Meanwhile, Michael Beale wished Rangers well for the future as he issued a social media post within hours of his sacking backing the Ibrox club to get back on track.

The 43-year-old was relieved of his duties as Rangers boss late on Sunday evening following a dismal start to the season.

“Thank you @RangersFC to everyone behind the scenes at the training ground and Ibrox, to the board, staff, fans and all the players,” he wrote. “I will always follow and support the club from afar and wish you every success.

“Now is the time for everyone to unite fully behind Steven Davis and the team in the coming games.

“There is still so much to play for this season and I have a strong belief in this group of players. Thank you and good luck.”

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23827040.steven-gerrard-reunites-rangers-colleague-al-ettifaq/