Scotland Players Played For Nothing

Scotland At The World Cup Draw Stars Get Zilch For Euro Campaign

SCOTLAND players did not take a penny for their failed bid to reach Euro 2008.

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith has praised Barry Ferguson and Co for not attempting to cash in - now he hopes to broker a similar deal for the World Cup in 2010.

Hampden bosses were denied a cash windfall of around �£5million when Alex McLeish's side narrowly missed out on a place in Austria and Switzerland next summer.

The players struck a deal with the SFA that saw them waive win bonuses and appearance fees in favour of a squad pot of around �£1.25m, payable only on qualification.

Italy's 2-1 win at Hampden put paid to that but Smith, speaking here in South Africa ahead of tomorrow's World Cup draw, insists the SFA will happily fork out for success in future.

He said: "The Scotland players took no money whatsoever from the SFA in the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

"They were on a qualifying only bonus and I must commend them for that. The current squad made it pretty clear to me they are content to play for Scotland for nothing.

"They amassed 24 points in a very tough group but received no reward for that in terms of individual bonuses.

"If Scotland qualify for a major tournament the SFA benefit from millions of pounds in extra revenue and it's only fair the players share in that.

"I hope a similar arrangement will be in place come the start of World Cup qualifying.

Obviously we'll have to speak to the players first but their commitment to the squad is already very obvious."

Smith will try to finalise a deal for a new-look home international tournament while in South Africa.

Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and Republic of Ireland want a Celtic Cup competition on the international dates in February, March and May and still hope to tempt England into joining them.

Nor thern Ireland FA President Jim Boyce said: "There is a possibility of Scotland playing Northern Ireland in February. The Republic of Ireland can't play then because I understand they have a friendly with Brazil.

"I want to see a British Championship reformed but England have to make up their minds. For many years I have been campaigning to bring back the championships but it always appeared that England did not want to participate.

"If they say no I want a Celtic Cup with Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland."

England already have a friendly against Switzerland pencilled in for February 6 - the proposed date for the new tournament to begin

I think that it would be a good show of the SFA to give them a token payment though - they did us all proud and should be recognised for their efforts, doesn't need to be much and could even be a donation to a charity of the players choosing.

But they do deserve to see some recognition.