Rangers 0 : 3 Lyon - Player Ratings and MoM Poll

I sure do, I think it stems from watching Rangers from a good era onwards in my youth and us being blessed with so many winners like Richard Gough throughout the 20 years Ive watched Gers (fook me I feel as old as Pete and Jon saying that and im only 28).

Ive always known Gers teams and players to be winners and I feel we have had so many average players in the last few years and that is ONE of the reasons we went backwards and have struggled for a trophy. Obviously I accept we need to go backwards to go forwards under the financial restrictions we have / had and that things change with time but buying average players isnt forced upon us. Until the likes of Whittaker brings his game to a new level week in week out then I will continue to say he isnt good enough :)

that's your opinion m8 no worries, I have also been brought up watching Rangers as mainly winners as I have been going to watch us just a bit longer than you but I can't say i'm only 28 !!!

To me if you say a player like Buffel is a winner as I think you are as you seem to love the guy then I totally disagree and makes what you have said sound a bit silly, to me anyway. SW might not be the kind of player we were used to in the past (we usually bought the finished/nearly finished article), but due to our money problem or chairman not backing us as before we can't do that. You have to mind this is his first season with us and he is still quite young and has a lot to learn. How many players have our fans wrote off in the first season that have went on to do good for us or be legends? Hutton was one this time last year, now he is being quoted as a �£10M+ player. I'm not saying SW will ever he as good but who knows but you need to give players a chance to step up at least. And IMO players who have had umpteen chances need to be shown the door as in the likes of Buffel.

:cheers:

that's your opinion m8 no worries, I have also been brought up watching Rangers as mainly winners as I have been going to watch us just a bit longer than you but I can't say i'm only 28 !!!

To me if you say a player like Buffel is a winner as I think you are as you seem to love the guy then I totally disagree and makes what you have said sound a bit silly, to me anyway. SW might not be the kind of player we were used to in the past (we usually bought the finished/nearly finished article), but due to our money problem or chairman not backing us as before we can't do that. You have to mind this is his first season with us and he is still quite young and has a lot to learn. How many players have our fans wrote off in the first season that have went on to do good for us or be legends? Hutton was one this time last year, now he is being quoted as a �£10M+ player. I'm not saying SW will ever he as good but who knows but you need to give players a chance to step up at least. And IMO players who have had umpteen chances need to be shown the door as in the likes of Buffel.

:cheers:

Mate, Im far from saying Buffel is a winner. The winners Im talking about are Goram, Gough, Brown, Durrant, I Ferguson, McCall, Laudrup, Albertz, etc etc etc

I dont expect the whole team to be full of winners like this but as Ive said Buffel for me deserves a chance due to his ability and the attitude he has shown lately. He has done the opposite as to what Klos did but still doesnt find a way back. Do we not offer 2nd chances at Ibrox? I also say he was played out of position many a time when he was played.

I dont think we can say signing players like Whittaker is due to being skint, 2 million is a signifiant amount especially with the bosman rule, for eg Blackburn got Benni McCarthy for less than we paid for Whittaker. Its all about finding the right player at the right price. Look what Wenger and Harry Redknapp do in the transfer market - they idenify bargains and snap them up, yet all we do is tap the SPL sides and give them 2 million here and there for each player - its a nonsense.

And playing people out of position is what can start an anti bandwagon - for example myself with Whittaker. He may well be a fine full back but Im judging him as a right midfield and I say he is not effective in that role - and its a role that is important in an attacking sense.

Look at Craig Moore for eg - people used to boo him coz Smith played him midfield during 9IAR then Advocaat brings him back and he is a superb centre half.

I also beleive in my opinion that when a player is a good enough standard for Rangers. Ive always been a Alan Hutton fan pre-leg break but didnt expect him to come on this far.

Mate, Im far from saying Buffel is a winner. The winners Im talking about are Goram, Gough, Brown, Durrant, I Ferguson, McCall, Laudrup, Albertz, etc etc etc.

I agree here but not many about or we can't find them!!

I dont expect the whole team to be full of winners like this but as Ive said Buffel for me deserves a chance due to his ability and the attitude he has shown lately. He has done the opposite as to what Klos did but still doesnt find a way back. Do we not offer 2nd chances at Ibrox? I also say he was played out of position many a time when he was played.

Buffel has had more than enough chances for me m8, how many years has been here and hardly done a thing, time to get rid of him and the other deadwood :confused: Klos done more than Buffel will ever do in his time at Rangers even if at the end he sat and took the money sitting in the stand. before he fell of his bike :) he was fit and able to play the manager picked the walrus over him. Would you walk away from a highly paid contract and lose millions and say it's because I love the company :confused:

I dont think we can say signing players like Whittaker is due to being skint, 2 million is a signifiant amount especially with the bosman rule, for eg Blackburn got Benni McCarthy for less than we paid for Whittaker. Its all about finding the right player at the right price. Look what Wenger and Harry Redknapp do in the transfer market - they idenify bargains and snap them up, yet all we do is tap the SPL sides and give them 2 million here and there for each player - its a nonsense..

I'd say it's more down to wages in the EPL, most players there would be on 40k+ a week at least no way we could afford that even if we could the transfer fee. They can afford it mainly down to SKY TV we can't or won't down to our chairman. And most players would rather play in a better league (EPL) than come up here IMO.

And playing people out of position is what can start an anti bandwagon - for example myself with Whittaker. He may well be a fine full back but Im judging him as a right midfield and I say he is not effective in that role - and its a role that is important in an attacking sense.

Look at Craig Moore for eg - people used to boo him coz Smith played him midfield during 9IAR then Advocaat brings him back and he is a superb centre half..

I agree it doesn't help the player or the team to keep playing players out of position all the time.

I also beleive in my opinion that when a player is a good enough standard for Rangers. Ive always been a Alan Hutton fan pre-leg break but didnt expect him to come on this far.

I liked hutton pre his injury as well but he hardly got anytime to come back from the fans and the majority slated him for a while before he came good, our fans are bad judging players far too early.

people moan when we don't have any Scottish players in the team and now we do they moan they are not good enough, I think they are and need time to settle. I think the likes of Thomson and Whittaker are good enough for Rangers and will go from strength to strength :cheers:

I liked hutton pre his injury as well but he hardly got anytime to come back from the fans and the majority slated him for a while before he came good, our fans are bad judging players far too early.

people moan when we don't have any Scottish players in the team and now we do they moan they are not good enough, I think they are and need time to settle. I think the likes of Thomson and Whittaker are good enough for Rangers and will go from strength to strength :cheers:

Yeah the thing with Hutton was you need confidence after an injury like his. Every human reacts different from a break and I could see where Hutton was coming from due a back break I had a few years ago. It took my months before I would attempt anything I used to do prior to my break and I still worry about things now.

Im not one of the moaners about having Scottish players in the team. Dont get me wrong, i like it, but they have to be up to the standard I want. With the resources we have, I expect Rangers to be lifting AT LEAST 1 domestic trophy a season and if we dont pick up the league title then I expect us to be a darn close second and not battling out for 3rd which we have done the last 2 seasons whilst not collecting a cup either.

Its now 5 years since we lifted the Scottish cup and I just dont think we have been good enough. Players like Thomson and Whittaker are squad players for me. Thomson is edging on a starting place but Id like to see him in the team without Ferguson to judge him for a run of games.

Yeah the thing with Hutton was you need confidence after an injury like his. Every human reacts different from a break and I could see where Hutton was coming from due a back break I had a few years ago. It took my months before I would attempt anything I used to do prior to my break and I still worry about things now.

Im not one of the moaners about having Scottish players in the team. Dont get me wrong, i like it, but they have to be up to the standard I want. With the resources we have, I expect Rangers to be lifting AT LEAST 1 domestic trophy a season and if we dont pick up the league title then I expect us to be a darn close second and not battling out for 3rd which we have done the last 2 seasons whilst not collecting a cup either.

Its now 5 years since we lifted the Scottish cup and I just dont think we have been good enough. Players like Thomson and Whittaker are squad players for me. Thomson is edging on a starting place but Id like to see him in the team without Ferguson to judge him for a run of games.

i agree with you Gribz :eek: we need a 'world class' :rolleyes: midfielder to play alongside Thomson and give Barry a rest or at least put a message to him that he is not indispensable as he might think. Can we get world class players to play in the SPL anymore i doubt it :(