Research - Old Ibrox Photographs Needed

Guest Ibroxian

Guest Ibroxian

Ladies and Gents, I am keen to make a model of the Old Ibrox (used up until 1899) and am having dificulty finding any old photographs for source material. If anyone has any old photos or can head me in the right direction to where I might be able view some I would be very grateful.

Also, I will be making a model of the Bill Struth Main Stand brick facade and although I have seen some old photos of the Main Stand they are not that detailed. So my question is: Of the 20 pavement level arched recesses (10 either side of the main entrance), what was their original purpose? Some are bricked in and some have metal roller shutters and I wonder if they were originally used for trading from (like the arches in London).

Even the tiniest piece of help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

The Gersnet Archive has some relevant info which may help mate...

- Archibald Leitch - 'Engineering Archie': The Designer of Ibrox

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=546&Itemid=31

- Recommended Reading and Bibliography

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=523&Itemid=31

I'd also recommend you nearest larger library (Edinburgh or Glasgow) where old photos and some of the books above may be available.

I'd also contact the official Rangers historian (David Mason) for his input.

Guest Ibroxian

Frankie, thank you very much for that. I spoke with David Mason last week which was very useful and found the same links through Simon Inglis's associated site and Scotland on Sunday newspaper. I've left a message hoping Simon Inglis will contact me, he's an authority on Archibald Leitch's work.

The history of Rangers book is a 'must buy', unfortunately the Ibrox shop had very little in the way of helpful books on the subject of the building itself.

Did anyone know, the Main Stand is approx. 266 courses of bricks from pavement to rooftop? And each brick is approx. 22.5 x 8cm in size? The facade is about 494 feet long and I need to get out more.....

Guest Ibroxian

Hello Craig. I have never made a model of a football stadium before. Actually I only intend to make the Bill Struth Main Stand facade, you know the brick frontage that is now listed. While the model will be a challenge I am confident that I can make a good job of replicating the stand.

I have made some other stuff. If you google Hyland Park Miniatures you will come across a coupe of models that I have made. They will be found on a US Stewarts Dollshouse website. I hope they are appreciated.

So, have you got any old photos or what? :)

Guest Ibroxian

Hello Pete, thank you. Yes, I have seen this webpage before, that press box is a work of architectural art in itself. You hear many radio commentators remarking that their press boxes are squalid and poorly placed but that old box at Ibrox must have been a pleasure to work from. You know, treat a journo well and he might report you favourably, enen when you don't deserve it!

Guest Ibroxian

Does anyone know what the ground level arched brick recesses were used for many years ago? Some have blue metal roll-shutter doors, possibly for loading etc. Did fans ever enter the stadium through any of these archways? I mean, are there turnstiles behind some of them?

If you mean the archways all along the front of the building then as far as i can remember they were entrances with turnstiles and exits from the enclosure and Main stand area.It was in fact one big hall segregated by caging I was not in that part often so i am not 100% sure and my memory is not great as i was pretty young. I do know for sure that there was a gate on the side wall (Broomloan end) just inside the ground where you could transfer from the ground to the main stand. If you look at the painting on the FF site then the turnstile was under the Rangers emblem. Not much help i know but maybe someone can add to it.