Revamp the Scottish Game

Anyway, I think the real way forward, if we want to compete with the big countries is of course merging with other countries.

A Scotland/Holland/Belgium league with six teams from each would be an interesting proposition. TV money from a combined population of about 28M, would also help them compete.

If the teams did well enough in Europe then there should be 4 CL places up for grabs and one UEFA place. With the three cups providing other places.

Have a combined cup with the top two or three teams from the home leagues which sorts out relegation and promotion to the merged league.

This cup could take the first two in each league plus 2nd and 3rd bottom - bottom gets relegated.

Have two leagues of four and then semifinals for the top two in each group. The finalists get promotion.

Or something like that.

Anyway the league could be

PSV Eindhoven

Ajax Amsterdam

Feyenoord Rotterdam

NAC Breda

Heerenveen

FC Groningen

Standard Liege

Club Brugge

Cercle Brugge KSV

Anderlecht

Germinal Beerschot

KAA Gent

Rangers

Celtic

Hibernian

Dundee Utd

Motherwell

Falkirk/Hearts

Which gives plenty of big, interesting games.

Yeah, Ive always liked the idea of the Atlantic league. A bit of fairness needs to come in it though with maybe the lowest 2 teams from each country being relegated back to the top division in there country.

Im against the likes of the Premier League down south playing matches abroad but that is totally different to leagues merging and I personally would find an Atlantic league with such teams as Calscot has put above far more interesting than the SPL.

The point about politicians getting involved is mainly about forcing the hand of the existing parties i.e. the SFA, SFL and SPL. Given that Salmond is in power he is therefore accountable and should get his party involved whether you like his politics or not.

Each existing body serves their own needs and as the old saying goes - Turkeys dont vote for christmas so I cannot see a situation where all three bodies agree to merge for the common good. The structure of the SFA alone makes this difficult.

If the government of the time were to force the issue then they would have no option. Where I agree with Juffery in a sense is that you would not want sport to become a party political ping pong ball that is subject to the short termist meddling which has been the hallmark of politics for too long.