Rangers check out AC Milan's methods for looking after golden oldies

RANGERS players will report to Murray Park for medical tests this morning only to discover the club is going down the AC Milan route to prolonging careers.

Fitness coach Adam Owen has been sent to the Italian giants by Walter Smith to study their methods. And the scientific approach that has kept the likes of Paolo Maldini going until he's 40 in Serie A will be used to do the same for David Weir and Christian Dailly.

And Owen has paid tribute to the way the Ibrox defensive stalwarts have reached what was once known as the veteran stage without showing any signs of wear and tear.

He said: "They are great examples of what can be done if you look after yourself properly.

"Davie played in 68 games at the age of 38 and had a really good season.

"Milan have a squad with plenty of players in their 30s so it was good to analyse everything they do."

Smith gave credit to the method's Owen employed last season as Rangers negotiated a murderous schedule of domestic and European games.

And Adam is intent on improving his contribution this season. He said: "The players were given a fitness programme for the close season break but that was to keep them ticking over.

"They won't need much in the way of conditioning work when they return. The break has been more about getting rid of the mental tiredness that will have taken its toll."

Meanwhile, Steve Davis' proposed move to Ibrox is still alive - despite reports the deal was dead.

The player's agent, Robert Segal, said: "We are still talking.

"I hope a deal can be struck because Steven wants to be at Rangers."

Sorry another three years of Davie Wier frightens me.

I think the Davis saga will drag on until the window is shutting.

Sorry another three years of Davie Wier frightens me.

I think the Davis saga will drag on until the window is shutting.

maybe we will get another 5 years out of weir and 10 from dailly :D