ANDY Webster says he is desperate to repay the faith Rangers have shown in him by getting back to full fitness as soon as possible.

Andy Webster and Kirk BroadfootThe former Hearts defender put pen to paper on a three year deal at Ibrox earlier this month and admits he is eager to show manager Walter Smith that he deserves that new contract.

After an injury hit 18 month loan spell in which he has managed just one appearance in the SPL the Scotland international is now close to full fitness after his latest operation.

Webster told rangers.co.uk: "I'm just in the early stages of running after having a hernia operation three weeks ago.

"Hopefully in the next two or three weeks I'll be back in to full training and I'll take it from there."

With the rest of Smith's squad currently undergoing fitness testing ahead of full pre-season training, 26-year-old Webster is keen to be involved again.

He added: "Eventually I'll do those tests. Even today I was doing something similar with the physios, although my fitness level is quite different because I haven't done as much over the summer.

"It can be difficult training on your own, but I'm in this situation and I've just got to deal with it. There's no point in moping around the place."

And with Webster targeting a place back among the rest of the squad, he admits he hopes for the chance to repay the belief shown in him by his manager.

He admitted: "Getting the new deal shows a lot of faith from the manager and like anything you want to repay that to him and to the club in general.

"The ideal situation was always for me to sign here and get playing, so it's been the one bright spot in among the recent injury problems.

"But footballers have to play football. I've obviously worked with the manager before but now I need to get back to the level I was playing at prior to being injured.

"It's not easy to get back there but that's where you need to have that mental toughness to get through it and prove to everybody I'm over it.

"I know I can play first team football, I've played in the SPL before, it's just a case of being fit, being on top of my game and getting the opportunities."

Hmmmmm. Did Walter or Bain not say he was for sale directly after he signed that contract. I am sure it was on the official site.

Hmmmmm. Did Walter or Bain not say he was for sale directly after he signed that contract. I am sure it was on the official site.

A very odd situation indeed... Why sign him then put him up for sale right away? Then he comes out with the above?? his career has been weird since he left hearts. I just hope we get some sort of use out of him, so far we have paid him for nothing, and that's never a good thing, but, more so in the current position that we are in with cash flow.

The Daily Record claimed we'd listen to offers. I just assumed that when we loaned him from Wigan, we agreed to buy him once the legal stuff had been sorted which was why we couldn't then pull out of the deal.

Who knows, a good pre-season could make all the difference to him.