Rangers Youths Thump Ayr United

A Rangers youth squad travelled to Somerset Park last night for a testimonial for long-serving groundsman Davie Harkness and blew away Ayr United with a stunning performance.

Steven Lennon celebrates with Andrew ShinnieThe 4-1 result prompted coach Tommy Wilson to say that this is the best batch of kids he has ever worked with and on this evidence that is no surprise.

Wilson, of course, led Scotland's under-19s to the final of the European Championship in Poland two seasons ago but feels his Murray Park starlets have the same, if not more, potential.

Tommy said: "I keep telling the boys that they have just as much ability as that group of players - and a lot of them have gone on to play in the SPL and even the full Scotland side."

The pitch was in perfect condition for the game and it allowed the Light Blues to turn on the style on the lush surface.

Steven Lennon and Rory Loy were the stars of the show in front of watching national team boss George Burley and under-21 gaffer Billy Stark.

Indeed it was Lennon who opened the scoring early on when he smashed home a great cut-back from Alan Lowing.

John Fleck then delivered a teasing cross and the striker was there again to head home from 15 yards.Jordan McMillan

Stevie turned goal provider for his teammate Loy for his side's third although his effort took a wicked deflection before beating the wrong footed Ayr United keeper.

David Gormley pulled one back for the home side on 62 minutes but Fleck and Chris Craig combined to send Loy haring through for Rangers' fourth 20 minutes for time.

I wouldn't count on it

I would. Murray Park's youth academy did not come about by chance. It's part of the long term strategy by the club to provide a conveyor belt of decent players to the squad without having to break the bank every year.

Walter will know this and it will be a resource he knows he'll have to rely on.

He's already shown a commitment to playing a younger squad and picking up the best young talent from the SPL, who not only can be developed into top Rangers players but can also be sold on for a profit when the time is right.

Walter may not be well known for playing a team of teenagers, but who is?

That "team of kids" at Man U had one teenager - Phil Neville who was 18.5. The team also had a 29 year old, a 30 yo and two 31yosm, as well as two at 24. The rest were 20 or 21 - but it has to be said that, that team was exceptional or all teams in the Prem, including Man U would be using it as a template. I think it's also unfair to compare pretty much any manager to Sir Alex. Just because he can do it, doesn't mean anyone else can.

Even then I think Fleck and Furman will have a role to play next season.

However, Smith did regularly play a 20 year old last season and has bought another 20 year old international. He also played quite a few players between 21 and 25. In addition his first choice keeper is our youngest for long, long time.

But to see what happens when you play a very young team full of talent, you only have to look to Hibs who have done a great job of bringing through young players. Doen't help them win the league though and they often struggled to hold any sort of form for a whole season - and what's their record in Europe?

So to say Walter doesn't play young players is a fallacy and when people use the phrase, "If they are old enough, they are good enough," they miss the first point of evaluating whether a player is good enough. Most of the time they are not, and therefore, not old enough.

Thing is,you get some fans saying that we don't play ''young players'',for me that is not true,as calscot has said,WS does play young players.What WS realises is that you need the right blend of youth & experience,which he is trying to do.Times have changed in that we no longer can afford quality experienced players,Murray park was built to produce our own young players and now more than ever Rangers are going to be relying on Murray park producing the stars of the future,and I think there is evidence that there is young talent coming through,but can they make the step up ?.IMO you will see more and more young players getting their chance to step into the first team, and hopefully they develope like BF & AH,but you won't see a team full of youths and quite rightly so as everybody knows you win nothing with a team full of young players.It is the way forward for Rangers FC for the immediate future due to lack of finances.