MAURICE Edu has expressed his delight at finally signing for Rangers and is hoping he can quickly play a part in the team with an appearance against Celtic on Sunday.

The midfielder jetted in to Glasgow early on Friday and after a short training session, admitted he felt ready to be involved in Walter Smith's squad for the weekend's derby match at Parkhead.

Smith will assess the 22-year-old in training on Saturday but Mo's initial reaction to life at Murray Park after a delayed flight from Canada has been positive.

He said: "I'm excited to be here, it's what I've been waiting for, for the past couple of weeks. Now everything is finalised so I'm here and I'm happy.

"I've managed a jog this morning and got the legs going again, so I'm fine, I'll be ready. I don't know what's been finalised but I hope to be part of the squad and part of the game too."

The former Toronto FC man insists he knows what to expect from Sunday's Old Firm meeting if Smith deems him fit enough to play a part.

He added: "I've seen a couple of the games on TV and I've spoken to Mo Johnston about them. He explained how great a game it is and how competitive they are.

"He just advised me to be prepared, to go out there and play my game, enjoy the atmosphere and really just enjoy the experience."

The US international's move from the MLS has been a protracted affair with the club having to secure a work permit before finalising the deal.

With that now done and dusted Edu is delighted to have the opportunity to become part of the setup at Murray Park.

He said: "I came out here a little while ago when I saw the Hearts game and I had a chance to explore the city and the facilities here.

"They are probably the best I've ever seen and now I have the chance to be here and train at this facility and be part of the team so I'm excited to be here."

And despite there being no European football to look forward to at Ibrox this term, Edu admits the appeal of regular involvement in the premier club competitions was an added attraction when deciding to trade the MLS for the SPL.

He added: "The MLS is definitely improving, but over here this team plays in the Champions League and the UEFA Cup against the best players in the world.

"For me it's a step up but I think it's the right choice because I feel I'm going to improve as a player, playing with better players every day. I'll get good coaching and I can develop as a player, which is important to me.

"I'm a box to box midfielder. I can make tackles and break up the play but at the same time every now and then I'll get the occasional goal so that's what the fans can expect to see from me.

"It's up to the manager how he sees me fitting in, but I think I can bring something that can compliment the team and benefit it in the long run."