Andrew Dickson reports from Parkhead

WALTER SMITH paid tribute to his Rangers players after their magnificent 4-2 derby win over Celtic at Parkhead.

The Light Blues manager raised eyebrows before play began by selecting Daniel Cousin to partner Kenny Miller up front.

But his decision paid off when the Gabon hitman fired in the opener - and he was even more ecstatic when Miller then struck a second-half double.

Pedro Mendes was the other scorer with a screamer from 25 yards and there's little doubt the visitors deserved to take three points from the first Old Firm clash of the season.

While Smith will be acclaimed by many Gers fans for choosing the side he put out, he was keen for the men at his disposal to take the credit instead.

He said: "We are obviously pleased to win the game. It was quite open and we were delighted to get the first goal then disappointed at losing one shortly afterwards.

"It was a scrappy one from our point of view and 1-1 was probably just about right at half-time.

"But whoever gets the first goal of the second half in Old Firm games often goes on to have the have the upper hand.

"We managed to score then add another quite quickly and it was always going to be difficult for Celtic to come back after that.

"You are always on edge when you come here but in the end, it was a terrific victory at a place where it is very difficult for any team to get a win and our players did very well."

There was obvious focus on Miller as he returned to Celtic Park just two years since he joined Gordon Strachan's side after a previous spell with Rangers.

He famously scored his first goal for the Parkhead team against the Light Blues but made away fans forget that with a wonderful brace today.

His first effort was a brilliant right-footed volley across Artur Boruc's goal and the second was a tap-in after the Pole fumbled the ball.

Miller's return to Ibrox has not gone down well with some supporters, who have made their feelings on the matter known over the last few weeks.

Smith is hopeful the Scotland hitman's contribution today goes some way towards appeasing them.

When asked how much pressure he thought Miller was under ahead of this game, the manager joked: "Not as much as me.

"I thought Kenny played well. It seems to be the case quite often in football that people score against their former clubs and that was the case here.

"I'm just pleased we managed to get the goals we needed and it doesn't bother me who scores them.

"But Kenny played well today and if his performance doesn't win people over, we've got a bit of a problem. I don't know what he would need to do.

"He has got his goals now so it is over with and hopefully he can go on to get a few more as the season goes on."

Man s a genous if in frank

I don't know about his sex life:D but at the moment he still has to lead us to a title to turn me round. He cost us 10 in a row and the title last year so one game does not make him a hero for me.

I don't know about his sex life:D but at the moment he still has to lead us to a title to turn me round. He cost us 10 in a row and the title last year so one game does not make him a hero for me.

WS cost us the title ?, him and all the players surely.

WS cost us the title ?, him and all the players surely.

Sorry Ian, Walters tactics cost us dear last year. He picked the team and tactics. He is still not a great manager imo. I hope he proves me wrong.

Sorry Ian, Walters tactics cost us dear last year. He picked the team and tactics. He is still not a great manager imo. I hope he proves me wrong.

Ok, but then Walters tactics got us to the final of every competition and got us two trophies

Ok, but then Walters tactics got us to the final of every competition and got us two trophies

And it could have been so much more if he didn't bottle it and go into a defensive shell.

Andrew Dickson reports from Parkhead

WALTER SMITH has praised his squad for the way it has come back from European humiliation to experience Old Firm glory in less than four weeks.

On August 5, the outlook was incredibly bleak for the Light Blues in the aftermath of their 2-1 humbling by FBK Kaunas in the second Champions League qualifying round.

Now, after an emphatic 4-2 win over Celtic at Parkhead this afternoon, it seems so much brighter following three wins in four games that have taken Gers to the top of the SPL.

Of course, they are still some way from being the finished article but this month has been one of constant improvement for the Ibrox outfit.

It has undoubtedly peaked at its climax with the biggest win at Parkhead for almost 15 years and Smith has saluted the resilience his men have shown.

Indeed, he is even shocked at how positive the response has been - and admits he didn't expect such a good win in Glasgow's east end.

Smith said: "Anyone who comes here and scores four goals is doing very well and yes, I was surprised we scored four today.

"But it was a good performance by us. That was the main thing and I thought we played well enough, especially in the period after half-time.

"It was a surprise to score four but we are obviously delighted that we did so and went on to win.

"It has been a very difficult start to the season for us, especially after losing out in the Champions League qualifiers.

"Going by the way we have played in the last two or three weeks, those games with Kaunas perhaps came a little bit too early for us.

"They happened though and now the players deserve a great deal of credit for the way they have come back.

"It wasn't an easy few weeks for anyone at the club after what happened in Lithuania but we've played fairly well and in a different manner from last season.

"Hopefully we continue to improve and build on the way we are trying to play at the present moment."

Smith was aggrieved by referee Dougie McDonald's decision to issue a second yellow card to Daniel Cousin quarter of an hour from full-time.

The sending-off could end up being the last act of the Gabon hitman's Ibrox career, with the manager refusing to rule out a move elsewhere before the transfer window shuts.

Whether he stays or goes tomorrow, Cousin certainly played a big part in this afternoon's stunning triumph.

And after a performance which ran Celtic's central-defensive pair Gary Caldwell and Stephen McManus ragged at times, there was clear sympathy for the former Lens hitman.

Smith added: "We used to have games where centre-forwards and centre-halves clashed regularly and it was a feature of play.

"I don't think there was any animosity between the players. Gary had a few fouls, as did Daniel.

"But nowadays, it seems that is not allowed overall and Daniel ended up getting sent off, something that was disappointing from our point of view.

"We were just at the point of considering taking him off because of the situation he was in but it was a difficult one because he was doing so well.

"I just feel at times that when these sort of things are always rather innocuous and it was unfortunate for him."