What's with JJB Sports ???

My local JJB shop has been sporting an all-Celtic window display this week. The other day was the first time I've walked passed it in months so I'm not sure how long it's been like that, but I couldn't believe my eyes. You'd think having a deal with them would at least secure a joint old firm window display, but it would seem not. What's all that about?

The deal is a strange one.

Certainly from a financial point of view it was a good one for Rangers. Unfortunately, as always, it's the supporter who misses out - the range is not as good, the service poor, availability limited and generally it's much more difficult to buy something now than it was before.

Bizarrely, JJB also don't seem to promote the deal much either. You'd think it would be in their interests to maximise interest but the opposite seems to happen.

It wouldn't surprise me if this deal ended prematurely. Possibly next summer when the Umbro deal finishes. I can't see another strip maker being too keen on limiting their point of sale.

It has to be NIKE. Proper global branding. Go anywhere in the world and you have NIKE sports shops and you can see a selection of clubs tops from this group. There are celtic tops in sports shops that would not be there if they were not with NIKE. Similarly our tops are not there.

If it is not NIKE, second best would be ADIDAS, as at least they have global branding as well. Not as much as NIKE I dont think, but it would certainly get our stuff into shops worldwide. We missed out hugely by not having our tops in sports shops around Europe when we reached the UEFA cup final.