Headers - Another Boyd thread (sorry)

Can't find the post I wanted to respond to.

Cna we stop accepting a lie as fact just because it is repeated often enough, it's timmyesque behaviour.

Missed the game today, but noticed that a Boyd header led to the first goal. Boyd wins flick on, player runs on to it resultign in a goal.

Boyd is not "terrible" in the air and jsut because it is stated repeatedly on threads on for example FF does not make it the case.

It is a relatively minor point in the grand scheme of things. But it is real bug bear of mine over the last season or two.

Actually watch what occurs in games and don't accept ill informed or ridiculous opinions of players and their ability to perform a particular skill as fact.

:mad:

Flight controllers at Glasgow Airport have sent a letter of complaint to Rangers saying if he keeps jumping so high they will need to put a flashing light on his head.:D

:D

No need to take the piss now. Just can't annoyed by the laziness of some people. Poster "x" on a website has stated this so therefore it can be stated as fact indefinitely, irrepsective of evidence to the contrary being available in nearly every game we play. :confused:

By the same token S_A..... it was also a very nice through ball from Miller for the first goal - Boyd's flick on went to Miller and Miller played a very neat ball into Davis for the goal.

In fact, of the two forwards today Miller was by far the better player in my opinion.

On topic though, Boyd definitely won a lot of headers today - he did, however, offer little else (one snap shot aside... which was blown for a foul against him anyway - and a ball into Miller.

As you probably know i am not a great Boyd fan. I will say though as long as he is influencing our games in a winning form be it scoring or not, he should keep his place in the team. Has Velicka dropped off the planet?

:D

No need to take the piss now. Just can't annoyed by the laziness of some people. Poster "x" on a website has stated this so therefore it can be stated as fact indefinitely, irrepsective of evidence to the contrary being available in nearly every game we play. :confused:

Yep, it's a joke. It's like this myth that Boyd can't play the lone striker role. I'd put money on the fact that even when we had Cousin, Boyd could've scored or set up as many goals as Cousin in that role if given an equal chance. It pisses me off to see Scotland's best home grown striking talent being left out of the National starting line-ups as well.

Boyd was poor again today (that's a cue for S_A's imagination to run away with him again, I'm sure), but was by no means the worst in the team.

His passing wasn't up to much (apart from the aforementioned cracker to Miller) and he struggled with some of his lay-offs.

Shroomz, I for one, firmly believe he can't play the role of a loan striker. He doesn't have Cousin's strength or pace and whenever he has been played in that position he has looked like a fish out of water.

His strength is as part of a front two, and if he can get his domestic problems sorted out and get back to last season's fitness then he and Miller could develop a useful partnership.

Yep, it's a joke. It's like this myth that Boyd can't play the lone striker role. I'd put money on the fact that even when we had Cousin, Boyd could've scored or set up as many goals as Cousin in that role if given an equal chance. It pisses me off to see Scotland's best home grown striking talent being left out of the National starting line-ups as well.

Boyd not being able to play the lone striker role is no myth. He has had opportunities in that role and has proven he cant play it effectively.

If you think that Boyd could have done at Parkhead what Cousin did then you are crazy :flash:

Sorry, but Boyd HAS to play as part of a front 2.

Have to say that he and Miller linked reasonably well today but Miller was easily the better performer in my opinion. They did, however, also have some moments where the mis-communication was very evident.

I thought Boyd was poor today. Some of his lay-offs were nice but he looked cumbersome and slow and also disinterested at times. Miller on the other hand linked up play well with midfield and showed a fair bit of vision too. Also found himself in better positions to score than Boyd.

I here you, but all I'm saying is that Boyd CAN indeed play the lone striker role. Despite individual performances, he DOES win a good share of headers when the ball is chucked up the park & he DOES get into goal scoring positions on a regular basis. To say that he CAN'T play that role when he's not really been given a fair chance is just all wrong imo. He's been tarnished by a media brush that'll take some serious washing off.

We must have differing views on what is required from a lone striker. Winning headers isnt needed (at least not flick ons) but touch, willingness to run the channels, linking with midfield IS required - all three of which I think Boyd has shown he is poor with.