By Andrew Dickson

MARTIN BAIN has urged SPL clubs to accept the merits of the 5% away ticket surcharge implemented on them by Rangers and Celtic this season.

The Old Firm announced their intention to impose the handling fee for the distribution of their fans' tickets at other grounds on behalf of opposition clubs in the summer.

While some agreed to the plan, others have added to the price of away seats to supplement the new expense or begun selling the briefs themselves to avoid paying it.

Gers chief executive Bain has stressed the levy was introduced to lessen the price of following Rangers and Celtic for supporters when they go on the road.

While it has had the opposite effect in some cases, he still believes it is a scheme clubs that are currently against it could soon go along with.

Bain admits a rethink may be needed to bring the situation to a satisfactory conclusion which suits all parties.

But for the moment, he is intent on persevering with the Old Firm's stance as he feels it is one which is best for all concerned.

Bain has previously stated he would be happy for other clubs to charge the same cost to the Old Firm for selling away tickets at Ibrox and Parkhead on their behalf.

Speaking at the club's AGM today, he said: "The 5% levy was introduced and promoted by this football club to advantage Rangers supporters, not disadvantage them.

"A total of �£2.5million worth of tickets is sold (by Rangers) on behalf of other SPL clubs which benefit them and their economy.

"Rangers supporters, in recent times, have paid for that by way of a booking fee and it was our sole intention to alleviate that cost to our supporters.

"We also want to make other clubs in the SPL wake up and smell the coffee and realise this football club and our supporters will not subsidise them without recognition.

"SPL clubs do not recognise what the number of travelling Rangers supporters bring to the economy.

"It is about time they did and it is my intention to make sure they stop disadvantaging our supporters by putting prices up.Martin Bain

"If they can't recognise that is not the way to go, they need to have a long, hard think to themselves.

"At the weekend, for St Mirren to put prices up for Rangers supporters with a difference of �£6 or �£7 to other parts of the ground was shocking.

"You have my absolute assurance that I'm trying to hold firm with the other clubs on the 5% levy.

"I have spoken to the SPL about this issue and to many other directors of other football clubs.

"Now I am sitting at the juncture where I either persevere in the hope clubs recognise what I've set out to do or have to revisit the 5% levy in relation to prices.

"It is all very well at the start of the season when the weather is a little better and clubs can sell debt to our supporters.

"But when the winter comes and our supporters don't have the convenience of a ticket delivered to their doorstep things could change.

"These clubs could then look at numbers and a possible drop in sales - which I hope doesn't happen - and they'll then realise the 5% levy is a good deal."

Bain also promised to look into the allocation of tickets for major matches following questions about the distribution of UEFA Cup final seats.

Does anyone actually understand Bain's point of view? I haven't a scooby.

I haven't read anything that he has said that explains to my satisfaction (or to even give an inkling) of how it is good for Rangers fans or the other clubs...

It seems a case of him saying "it's a good deal."

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

I also fail to understand why not one reporter has tried to explain it to us either way. I doubt they understand either but are reluctant to admit it.

A good chance to give some decent narrative and the press as usual, pass.

Does seem a strange one tbh. I dont think its right that clubs increase the ticket price for the Old Firm, but they can do it as they know they will always sell them at that price. Interesting what Bain is saying about in the bleaker weather, i reckon a few supporters will stay away if it means having to queue in horrible weather to get a ticket.

Doesnt seem to help the supporters anyways