by Lindsay Herron

THE WORLD of football paid tribute to Ian McColl today when his funeral took place following his sad passing on October 24 at the age of 81

Team-mates and rivals joined together with family and friends at St Paul's Church in Milngavie to remember the Iron Curtain defender, who played 526 games for Rangers.

He was one of the last remaining links to a golden era for Rangers in the aftermath of the Second World War when football boomed.

The period was dominated by Rangers and Hibs. From 1946 until 1953 they had a stranglehold on the title; Rangers winning in 1947, 1949, 1950 and 1953 and Hibs triumphant in 1948, 1951 and 1952.

Other than in 1949 when Dundee were runners-up, Hibs were second when Rangers won and vice versa.

Hibs boasted the Famous Five forward line of Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, Willie Ormond and Eddie Turnbull while Rangers featured the Iron Curtain defence of Bobby Brown, George Young, Jock Shaw, Ian McColl, Willie Woodburn and Sammy Cox.

It was a fascinating and fearsome match-up, but it does not imply that Rangers were toothless up front at that time - far from it.

Willie Waddell, Torry Gillick, Willie Thornton and Jimmy Duncanson were among the top class Rangers forwards of the time.

"Rangers against Hibs? Now you're talking," said Bobby Brown. "We had fantastic games against them in that 1940s and 1950s period and Ian played a huge part in these matches.

"They had the Famous Five forward line and we had the Iron Curtain defence. Many said they would have loved to have seen the two combined in the Scotland team but it never quite happened that all of us played at once.

"Of course, we had brilliant forward players then too, like Waddell, Thornton and Duncanson as well as Jimmy Caskie.

"But there was something special about the Iron Curtain defence. We all seemed to click perfectly and we got on well together. It seemed natural to us.

"We used to go to Easter Road and play in front of crowds in excess of 50,000 and that could be doubled when they came to Ibrox."

In a 10-year period Rangers averaged less than a goal against per game which is indicative of just how strong the defensive line was.

In these days the formation as 2-3-5 - two full backs, three half backs and five forwards (two wingers, two inside forwards and a centre forward).

McColl was right half and a first rate defender beside the mighty Woodburn and in front of the colossus that was Young.

However, he could play the game too and that is not lost on goalkeeper Brown, who, coincidentally, also became Scotland manager in his later years.

Brown told me: "I remember Ian was very strong in defence but he was also good on the ball and was adept at turning defence into attack.

"My great memory of him was his fastidiousness at improving his passing. In these days training was basic and all we had was the running track around the pitch.

"Ian used to play one-twos against the wall and did other things to try to improve his game. He was very dedicated in that regard.

"We had many fine moments in the League and in Cups but my abiding memory is a bleak November day when we went to Methil to play East Fife, who were a powerful team at that time and regularly finished in the top five.

"The game had a 2pm kick-off to help the local miners in terms of their shifts. They would be down the pits at five that morning so they could see the game in the afternoon - a game that had been sold out for weeks.

"Ian was superb that day. I think he cleared two off the line, but he was wonderful in defence and we won the match 2-1.

"There is no doubt he was a great servant to Rangers and it was with great sadness that I learned about Ian.

"He didn't have the greatest quality of life in his latter years and that saddened me too."